It is a Bonding Wire not a ground do not bring into box!!

Old 11-19-05, 04:48 PM
It is a Bonding Wire not a ground do not bring into box!!

I saw this in the code book down at home depot talking about bx (armored cable) and a silver wire which kinda looked like it could be a ground but is not..

can someone explain what a bonding wire (i think thats what it was called) is and how to tell the difference between it and a ground!

also since its not a ground.. where do I put the ground attached to the recessed can... in the back of my mind I think I read attach it to the metal strip of the bx cable but im not %100 sure//

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-05, 07:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The strip is a bond. It gets wrapped back around the cable sheath. Some folks call it a tracer wire, although it is not a conductor.

A ground is an actual conductor run with the circuit conductors. It can be bare or green.

You CANNOT use BX/MC/AC with plastic boxes. With AC with the bond strip but no green wire inside the sheath is the ground and you need to be very sure to make up all fittings very tight. If you are terminating in a recessed light box that has a little green wire, you do nothing with it. The cable sheath is grounding the box through the connector.

Old 11-20-05, 12:00 AM
thanks speedy!

good information, I think I get it the whole recessed box acts with the metal bx as the ground... I will disconnect the green ground and make sure the where the knock outs are connected are good and tight...

Thanks again!