weird electrical problem

Old 11-19-05, 05:20 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
weird electrical problem

The lights in my foyer go out the second I plug in my home stereo subwoofer. The odd thing is the subwoofer isn't even turned on when I plug it in. Just the act of putting a plug in the wall makes the lights go out.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
josh

Old 11-19-05, 05:56 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What do you do to make the lights come back on? Is it tripping the circuit breaker?

Old 11-19-05, 06:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Like it could be caused from just the act of the vibration, perhaps? Instead of the electrical connection? Try jiggling the plug in the outlet.

Where is the outlet and where is the switch to the light, and where is the light in relation to either of these?

There is a possibility that they did a "take off' from the outlet to go to the switch for the light. That "take off" wire is loose at the terminal screw. Shut off the power to that outlet, pull out the outlet some and try re-tightening the screws.

Old 11-19-05, 07:16 PM
J
ok, I will try that. But just to make thing easier, I just plugged in an empty extension cord and the lights went out. So it has nothing to do with the subwoofer. And to answer somebody's question, I just pull the plug back out and the lights go back on.

Old 11-19-05, 07:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like it is either screws or a bad backstabbed receptacle.

Pull the device out and check the connections. If the wires are just stuck in holes in the back of the receptacle move them to the screws.
Power OFF first obviously.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: