How to relocate an existing 220v outlet?

Old 11-20-05, 09:10 AM
Cyclinnut
Visiting Guest
Exclamation How to relocate an existing 220v outlet?

This may be a no-brainer for the more experienced of you, but I wanted to get my facts straight before attempting this process.

I recently purchased an older home and i'm going to be moving the oven across the kitchen (you should see where they have the thing). There is obviously already a stove outlet there, but i'm going to need to move it.

Please walk me through the process so I can be sure I don't skip a step. I'm going to need to add about 12 feet of line to make the move. I have installed ovens before, but mainly wall units that don't plus in, they just run directly to the box.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-05, 09:21 AM
I just did one of these. With circuit breaker off, of course, I cut the Romex in the attic a foot before it went down the wall to the existing location. Then I fished a new Romex down to the new location and spliced the two in a box in the attic. Piece of cake. I used a double-wide cut-in box (assembled from two singles) and no drywall repair was needed.

The Romex going to the previous location was used to splice a 120V dedicated receptacle from the panel for a new freezer without needing to fish a new smaller cable through that especially difficult location.

Old 11-20-05, 09:25 AM
Is this a three wire feed to the existing oven or a four wire feed? If it's only three wires than you need to replace all the way back to the panel.