Delivery guys mis-wire 4 wire range?

Old 11-20-05, 09:22 PM
Delivery guys mis-wire 4 wire range?

New range came today. Delivery guys install the 4 wire plug, push range into place and plug it in. All works well. After they leave I pulled the range out to install the anti tip clip. I saw that they did not install a strain relief clamp around cord. So, I removed the back panel and found the wiring to be suspect. Red went to one side and black to the other. But white and ground were wired to the same terminal in the middle, white's terminal. Nothing was wired to the green ground screw. But there was a copper clip connecting it to white's terminal. Is this wiring OK? Or should I remove the clip and connect the ground wire to the ground screw.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-05, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by b4u8cake
New range came today. Delivery guys install the 4 wire plug, push range into place and plug it in. All works well. After they leave I pulled the range out to install the anti tip clip. I saw that they did not install a strain relief clamp around cord. So, I removed the back panel and found the wiring to be suspect. Red went to one side and black to the other. But white and ground were wired to the same terminal in the middle, white's terminal. Nothing was wired to the green ground screw. But there was a copper clip connecting it to white's terminal. Is this wiring OK? Or should I remove the clip and connect the ground wire to the ground screw.
I wouldn't touch it until after I called the store and talked to the manager to explain that their guys are wrongly installing electrical appliances. Ask him to send an electrician over to do it right at HIS expense.

Old 11-20-05, 10:40 PM
The manual should show you how to connect the wires.

The link shows some examples but for dryers.
http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/switc...ryer/index.htm

Old 11-21-05, 04:24 AM
I agree. Call the store and have them send someone to wire it properly. If the manager balks, mention that you will call a lawyer next.

Old 11-21-05, 07:41 AM
The stove is wired incorrectly. Rather than try to fix it over the internet, the proper thing to do is unplug the stove, and call the store and tell them you are without cooking facilities because their guy screwed up, and tell them to send an electrician, not the delivery boy. The major appliance players ( HD, Lowes, Sears ) will probably respond to this. But they may not respond for a few days. I suggest you mention that you expect some compensation for having to eat out. Also suggest that maybe you should call your own electrician and then demand reimbursement.

You can remain polite and calm, but firm during these discussions. That keeps the fur down at the store level. If you remain firm, they usually will come up with the reimbursements. It is said, but sometimes the only way to succeed is go into the store and make a scene. This is last resort, but if necessary......

The fix to the wiring is quite simple, and we are not trying to suggest that you could not do this on your own. But the fact that the big guys are trying to cut corners and have the delivery guy with no training whatsoever do electrical, water, and gas hookups is scary!

Last edited by 594tough; 11-21-05 at 07:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-21-05, 10:24 AM
Might as well give my opinion. The store is only obligated to deliver the stove, unless you signed for the installation of the stove. Read the fine print on your order invoice. The delivery man should not have wired the stove if he was unqualified. In most cases an appliance store will ask you if you have a 3 or four wire receptacle for your existing range. Then they prewire it before delivery and yes there may be an extra cost for the pigtail cord and plug. In some cases the guy will wire it according to what you have when he delivers. But he will know what he is doing....hopefully.
A big box store will normally ask if you want installation and disposal of the old range. In which case you pay an extra charge unless they are offering free installation. I would visit with the manager of the store and explain what happened and determine what you paid to have done. A lot of times the actual hook up of the stove is on you because you did not stipulate you wanted the stove installed.
In your case though, the store erred and you should be sure to tell them you had a stove wired in an unsafe manner by their delivery person. I dont think you will have to say much more than that to get it corrected. Have your ducks in a row and understand how the stove should have been wired. You actually have them over a liability barrel already and they will now that...if they are smart they will jump through hoops to get it corrected.

Old 11-22-05, 06:51 AM
I re-wired the range according to the 4-wire power cord installation instructions, installed the wire clamp and anti-tip bracket. The range still works just fine. It clicks a lot.

Along with the range I also purchased the range cord. The reciept also lists "Setup and Level". Roger is correct, on the Delivery Guidelines it states "Delivery Teams may not perform carpentry, electrical or plumbing work...". I will let the store know what the delivery team did. The delivery team were sub-conractors.