Crooked Electrical Outlets, FIRES????

Old 11-22-05, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crooked Electrical Outlets, FIRES????

Couple of the electrical outlets in my apartment, which work fine, seem to be, well, crooked. Crooked as in how they are centered in the wall, then the plugs themelves are not flush with the outlet covers. Never any hot extension cords, etc, no weird sparking, arcing anything, they just LOOK, well, OFF. Ditto the damn lightswitches. I think these apartments I live in were slapped together but QUICK. Imminent danger, or learn to live with it like I'm in the Joker's crooked hideout in the old Batman TV Show???? Ten months in the place, no problems so far, plus, 15 other apartments in my building, can imagine what THEIR outlets look like!!!! And I assume that they have been this way for eons, building went up in 1989.........there's no cracked outlets, so nothing bumped into them, unless some crazy person shoved the plugs themselves into the casings.......seems unlikely.....

Also, what prevents an electrical outlet from catching fire????? Circuit breakers, surge protectors? Will they melt before catching the damn walls on fire???? THERE HAS GOT TO BE A SAFETY NET SOMEWHERE! Thanks!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-05, 07:57 AM
Several comments.

This is an apartment. There is nothing that you yourself can do, even if there was a quick fix. You are not allowed to work the electrical of an apartment since you are not a licensed electrician.

The issues you are raising are cosmetic only. They pose no safety hazard.

To answer your other question. Nothing prevents a receptacle from catching fire. There are circuit breakers (or in old buildings fuses) that protect from an overload. Assuming that the correct size (or smaller) fuse or circuit breaker is installed, and assuming that the fuse or circuit breaker is working properly, no more than the specified amount of current will be allowed (within reason) to the circuit. However, a loose connection, or a faulty receptacle or switch, or a damaged appliance or other electrical device, could cause a fire to happen without pulling too much current through the circuit.

Old 11-22-05, 11:58 AM
right! i was wondering about safety because i don't know whether or not the crooked plugs are due to being damaged (doubt it) or are the result of sloppy workmanship (more likely, since lightswitches are equally haphazardly placed in the walls). unbelievable!