house surge protector and circuit breaker question

Old 11-22-05, 01:59 PM
house surge protector and circuit breaker question

I just installed a GE THSASURGE60 SurgePro AC surge protector on my residential service panel.

The directions say to connect the 2 black leads to a 15A 2-pole breaker, which I did.
1) Does it matter where on the panel the breaker is installed? Should it go as close as possible to where the power company leads go into the panel?
2) The directions don't say whether the 2 switches on the breaker should be tied together (like for a 220 circuit) or whether the 2 switches should be independent on the 2-pole breaker.

Anyone care to help me out? TIA.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-05, 04:19 PM
The directions say to connect the 2 black leads to a 15A 2-pole breaker
Anytime the manufacturers manual states you need to use a 15A 2-Pole breaker you need to use one with a TIE in the middle and not individual 1-pole breakers.

You should purchase a 215 ( 2-pole breaker ) as the manufacturer states in order to eliminate the possible change on of the breakers could be turned off and one left on.

Old 11-22-05, 06:19 PM
Thank you for the response. I have them tied together.

Re where to place the breakers in the panel, I found this on Home Depot's site for a similar unit: "Install this unit next to your breaker panel closest to where the electrical service enters your home." So, I'll install the 2-pole breaker right below where the cables attach to the panel.

Thanks again.

Old 11-24-05, 07:12 PM
No problem gs.....just make sure that 2-pole 15A has a built in tie bar and not YOU actually tieing them together with like a nail or something as that would be against code...has to be built into the breaker itself per say and designed that way.

Old 12-07-05, 09:26 AM
Understood, and a belated thank you.