rough electric install question

Old 11-23-05, 08:44 AM
Jillypad
Visiting Guest
rough electric install question

I have already begun construction in an existing plan (have the last lot left, but it is smack dab in the middle of the plan with homes on all sides). I contacted the electric company to get a work order to have the temp electric hooked up. There is a green box between every two homes in the plan and two electric services come from each box (the house on each side). Well, they open my box up (which is located on my property) and there is only line for service to one (the home that already exists to the right of my lot). The electric company is trying to tell me to authorize my electrician to dig across the street to the main transformer, run the line in the conduit under the road and tie into the pedestal on my own property for my electric. All of the printed information the electric company supplies indicates it is their responsibility to have the electric service to the end of my property for me to tie into, but the engineer for the electric company says they don't dig and it's my responsibility. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-05, 09:02 AM
Not sure where you are or if an electric coop is involved, but it sounds kind of odd to me. Just because there is only one line feeding the pedestal (or handhole) doesn't mean that it can only serve one house. Electric utilities generally design their underground secondary systems to serve all-electric loads (because of the difficulty in upgrading underground cables) in case many or all homes end up being all-electric. There are some situations where the distance between the transformer and pedestal is short that the secondary may be the same size as the service to the houses. In your case, perhaps the secondary from the transformer to the pedestal is 1/0 aluminum (probably the minimum size most electric utilities use for secondary and services) and the service to the existing house is also 1/0. In any event, it does seem odd that you (or your electrician) would be asked to install what would be parallel secondary conductors from the transformer to the pedestal. Could be a misunderstanding. When you say "crossing the street" are you saying that it would be necessary to bore under the street in order to get to the transformer?

Old 11-23-05, 09:03 AM
id try calling who ever is over the hole project and town to see who pulled perments if you need to

Old 11-23-05, 09:05 AM
"Green box" implies a step-down transformer set at Ground-level, and the this is an "under-ground" arrangement of Service conductors and connections

The installation and connections of the Primary or "hi-voltage" conductors - say 7000 volts "Primary" voltage --to the transformer would appear to be the responsibility of the POCO, but it is possible that the POCO requires that the customer provide a "raceway"to the "Green box" for the insertion of the Primary conductors by the POCO.

I guess the essential question is this-- Is the POCO informing you that you must provide a raceway for their Primary conductors to a transformer?

Old 11-23-05, 09:07 AM
I'm pretty sure the green box to which he is referring is a secondary pedestal.

Old 11-23-05, 09:29 AM
Jillypad
Visiting Guest
I beleive it is a secondary pedestal that is located on our property (it is green and flush to the ground). Supposedly when they opened it, service was only to one home and another wire didn't exist for our home. The main transformer is across the street, and the electric company indicated we would need to dig that up, put in a line, run it in the conduit under the street to the secondary one, and then onto our property.
Everyone I have spoken with has said it is their responsibility to get it to the pedestal, not mine, except of course the electric company's engineer.

Old 11-23-05, 09:31 AM
Jillypad
Visiting Guest
To answer the question..... Is the POCO informing you that you must provide a raceway for their Primary conductors to a transformer?
Yes, they are.

Old 11-23-05, 12:03 PM
What is the age of the development? Generally, a developer negotiates for the installation of underground electric utilities to increase the value and attractiveness of the addition. If the developer paid for underground facilities to all of the lots, then failure to serve one of the lots would seem to be the utility's problem. If lots were subdivided and re-platted subsequent to the initial development, it could be the lot owner's responsibility to pay for utility secondary extensions to serve the additional lot(s).

I doubt that the utility intends to install additional transformation, so the question about a raceway for primary conductors isn't valid. Primary systems are laid out in a loop and there really isn't a way to deal with three primary terminations in a single phase pad transformer.

Sounds like they are asking you to install your service directly to the transformer across the street. If the existing pedestal (if its top is flush with the ground it is called a handhole) currently has no terminations in it, then what is its purpose other than as a pull box?

Old 11-23-05, 12:14 PM
Jillypad
Visiting Guest
Honestly, I'm not sure. The way that you are explaining it sounds like you are correct, that it is just a pullbox, and also from your explanation, that is exactly what they want us to do....have our electrician excavate the transformer across the street and get our lines from that, run them in their conduit under the street and put the service into the pull box. That is what I guess I assumed would be their responsibility: getting the service to the corner of our property.... Also, I just spoke to the man we purchased the land from, who was the original developer of the plan and he said he beleives the box our neighbor is pulling from might actually be ours alone, and the neighbor should be sharing with the next house over from them. Not much I can do with that info at this point.

Old 11-23-05, 12:43 PM
"he believes the box our neighbor is pulling from might actually be ours alone, and the neighbor should be sharing with the next house over from them"

I have run across this sort of thing before. A lot may appear to have two sources of feed. Let's say there are three lots in a row. Between lots 1 and 2 is a handhole (handhole "A") designed to serve those two lots. Between lots 2 and 3 is another handhole (handhole "B") designed to serve only lot 3. Handhole "A" is fed directly off the transformer and handhole "B" is fed from handhole "A". The secondary between the transformer and handhole "A" is larger and designed to serve all three lots. The secondary between "A" and "B" is designed to serve only lot 3. If the electrician wires out the house on lot 2 to be served from handhole "B" because it is more convenient or because is is unaware of handhole "A", a problem is created because the secondary between "A" and "B" will not handle two houses. This is really a design and coordination problem. Service regulations in my area require us to have the utility advise how a house will be served. Bottom line (IMHO) is that you are an innocent third party to all that has happened before. One of the problems is that once the utility connected the service to lot 2 (in what I understand to be similar to your scenario) lot 2 was "off the hook" for wiring out to the wrong handhole. In my encounters with this problem, the utility resolved the issue (at their expense), either by re-routing the service to lot 2 to handhole "A" or by replacing the secondary between "A" and "B". I remember one case where the utility had 4/0 al. between the transformer and handhole "A" and 1/0 al. between "A" and "B". To minimize the voltage drop to serve two lots from "B" they replaced the 1/0 al. with 350 mcm al..