30/50A RV Home Outlet

Old 11-23-05, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
30/50A RV Home Outlet

I have underground service from FPL (electric company) to meter. I have 200A Disconnect Box(ctl enclosed panelboard) with 200A Disconnect and what looks to be 4 knockout plugs for additonal disconnects or breakers in the box next to FPL's meter. Inside my home I have 200A Westinghouse service panel with 200A Main Breaker. Summary: 1 meter, 1 Disconnect Panel w/200A disconnect, 1 Service Panel with 200A breaker.

I would like to tap into the Disconnect Box next to the meter to run a 30 or 50A service line for my RV. The run would be on the outside of the building to a weatherproof box about 35' from the Disconnect.

My question is, "Can I put another breaker or disconnect (30 or 50A) in the Disconnect Box and run a circuit to the weatherproof box with a 30 or 50A breaker in the box? I would prefer to run the line through conduit attached to the outside wall of my home. I need to use this method as my Service Panel is full and a good distance from where I need the RV outlet.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations and assistance to a new member.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-05, 11:23 AM
Under most circumstances, yes you can. You can have up to six throws in that box.

Old 11-26-05, 09:30 PM
Thank you for your reply. My next questions is: If I want the RV box to terminate with a 30A RV Receptacle and a duplex 20A Receptacle, what size breaker do I want to put in the disconnect box and what size and type wire should I run to the RV box if I run it in approved conduit or should I run it underground (very easy to do also). The total run is less than 50 feet and I want everything to be outdoor approved for weather.

Old 11-26-05, 11:18 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You will want something like this....
http://www.go-usg.com/30_20.html

30 amp breaker Single pole

Thwn rated #10 awg with ground copper feeder (H-N-Grd) to rv box in pvc conduit. Sch 40 below grade and sch.80 above. Expansion fittings if needed.

Old 11-27-05, 11:11 AM
If you want to run a 20A duplex, use a 20A breaker.
If you want to run a 30A RV recepticle, a 30A breaker.

use #10 AWG THWN wire in the conduit. #12 would be acceptable for 20A.

Old 12-03-05, 06:53 PM
To take this a step further: After looking at the RV outlet box choices, I have decide to run a 50a circuit to the termination point box which houses a 50A plug, a 30A RV plug and a 120V GFI outlet. I have purchased the wiring (#6 red, #6 black, #6 white and #8 ground all thwn rated), a 50A breaker and the approved underground conduit. If I choose to install a generator transfer switch in this setup to feed my distribution panel inside the house, can this be done at the service disconnect panel where I am installing the 50A breaker to feed the 50A RV outlet box. I have a 5500 watt diesel generator that I keep in the back of my tow vehicle for a fifth wheel. I would like to be able to throw the switch on the generator transfer and feed my inside service panel without endangering my power company and myself for that matter. Thanks.

Old 12-03-05, 06:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
NO, there is no way to have the RV wiring and transfer breaker serve the same purpose.
The backfeed breaker would HAVE to have an interlock device to prevent that breaker and main breaker from being on at the same time.

Old 12-03-05, 07:04 PM
Could I install the generator transfer breaker between the meter and the disconnect panel? I would not attempt to do this myself since the meter would have to be pulled. I would then have a meter, generator transfer switch, service disconnect panel ( with 50A breaker installed for RV box), and inside service distrubition panel. Thanks.

Old 12-03-05, 07:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can but the transfer switch would need to be sized according to your service size. So if you have a 200 amp service you need a 200 amp transfer switch.

Old 12-04-05, 04:44 PM
You are probably better to get a generator transfer panel. It will be installed next to your inside panel, and you will put essential on it, and run the generator side to a male plug outside.

Old 12-04-05, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by classicsat
You are probably better to get a generator transfer panel. It will be installed next to your inside panel, and you will put essential on it, and run the generator side to a male plug outside.
I would like to do that but the service panel is in the middle of the house due to an addition. I would need to place the generator about 60 feet from the plug to have a safe exhaust area. With the RV box, I only have about 10 feet from generator location to plug.

Thanks for the suggestion as it would save me some $$ on the transfer panel.