Switch box question


Old 11-23-05, 07:53 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 50
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Switch box question

I have a light switch located in the garage which is mounted on a wood paneled wall. The box is for a single switch and is screwed into the wall with the little metal tabs (from the front). I would like to add another switch and light and install the switch next to the existing one. I canít seem to find a 2 switch box with the tabs on the top and bottom to mount the box to the wall. (not at the local hardware store or Home Depot) I see single boxes that say they are gangable if I use two of these next to each other will the duplex switch cover plate fix on it? Or is there a better way?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-05, 08:38 PM
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,767
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The gangable boxes, when ganged, will provide standard device spacing.
Old 11-23-05, 08:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
RE: Switch box question

What you are looking for is a gangable switchbox. You would get 2 of these and remove one side from each. They then screw together giving you a double switchbox.

Hope this helps. My first post here.
Old 11-24-05, 05:55 AM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What you want is an old work box. The boxes that are designed to gang together are generally NOT old work.

Also, before you begin, make sure that you have a power source for this new light. You do not necessarily have one in this switch box.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: