Need more power in Garage

Old 11-24-05, 08:42 AM
6t7goat
Visiting Guest
Need more power in Garage

I have a 3 yr old house and would like to add additional outlets to my garage. I want a 220 for a compressor and I need a 110 30amp for a powder coat oven. I do not have any slots left in my breaker box. What are my options? My main box is in the garage is it possible to just add a sub panel? I am very mechanically inclined but not very familiar with electrical wiring. Thanks. Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-05, 10:37 AM
Yes, it is possible to add a sub panel. The exact size of the sub panel should be based on the anticipated load.

However, adding a sub panel is not a good first job for a do it yourselfer. But with proper learning you could handle the job.

It is also possiblwe, depending upon the panel, to use tandem breakers which would free up space for additional circuits.

Do you need other circuits for the house? What size circuit do you need for the compressor?

Old 11-24-05, 05:01 PM
6t7goat
Visiting Guest
The compressor is 7.5 hp w 80 gal tank runs on 230 and rated at 29 amps. I wont need any other circuits for the house just the garage. I may be adding a welder down the road. But I wont be going with a very big one. Normal plug in variety.

Old 11-25-05, 06:07 AM
Does your panel allow tandem breakers, and do you have space for them?

Old 11-25-05, 01:23 PM
6t7goat
Visiting Guest
Bob, I'm not sure what a tandem breaker is. I can tell you that I do not have any spots open in my box.

Old 11-25-05, 03:42 PM
A tendem breaker, sometimes called a mini breaker is tewo circuit breakers in the space of a single breaker. If you can install them in your panel then by installing two of them you would free up two spaces where you could install a 240 volt breaker.

Old 11-25-05, 03:50 PM
6t7goat
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info Bob. My box will accept tandem breakers. It has a set now.