Winterising for Michigan

Old 11-25-05, 01:16 PM
MRodgers
Visiting Guest
Winterising for Michigan

I just bough this house and need to winterise it for the cold Michigan weathers. I reused the heat tape (tested and works) that was on the pipes comming from the main supply in the ground, up thru about 5' of pipe to where it comes up thru the floor and splits for cold and to my water heater. I also used some 4" wide fiberglass insulation wrap over the heat tape. Is this engough? Do the pipes go between the floor and the sub-floor, or do they go back under the house somewhere? I know this might be different from home to home, but what is the general rule? I dont see them going back under the house by the water heater.

Do I need to wrap the gas lines? What do I use for that? Should I use heat tape, fiberglass wrap or styrofoam wrap?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-05, 03:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums

It has been 30 yrs since I lived in mich. so I really can't advise on how well the pipes need to be insulated. Water pipes generally run between or through the floor joists. As long as the membrane that covers the bottom of the floor framing is intact, I believe those pipes should be fine [providing the MH is heated] I don't know if gas lines need insulation, hopefully someonelse will be able to give you a better answer.