more on fishing new wire

Old 11-25-05, 01:14 PM
the_fiddler
Visiting Guest
more on fishing new wire

I have read a couple posts now about fishing new wire and one on whether or not to use shielded cable because the wire won't be down the centre of the stud.

My question is, when you do fish new wire how can you be sure where the wire will end up in the wall? Original install makes sure (hopefully) that the wire is stapled to the centre of the stud so that it won't be hit by screws for drywall and hopefully any other things you want to attach to your wall. When you fish a new wire of course you can only try and get it in the right place, but the wire will inevitably snake it's way down (or up) and probably rest against your drywall in some places, which is not really to code right? So is it always a good idea to use a shielded cable when fishing new wire into a wall cavity if your local code allows? Seems a bit overboard.

The reason I ask is that although the newer finished basement in my house has new grounded outlets and modern wire, the older upstairs still has 2 prong plugs and quite old wire. I would at some point like to upgrade my outlets. I have access to the top of all my walls through the attic, just wondering what the best way to approach the fishing job would be. I realize patience and a good thick tape will be a great help. I'd just want to use regular 12 or 14 ga. wire of course, shielded would be really expensive, but what about not being able to get the wire nice and tight to the stud as per code requirements?

Thanks for any answers,

F

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-05, 01:47 PM
MXSparx
Visiting Guest
You can't support a fished in wire. The codes you are referring to are for new work.

Old 11-25-05, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is no requirement that code added to existing walls needs to be stapled to studs. Simply fishing up (or down) the walls is sufficient.