Chewed cord (maybe stupid question)

Old 11-26-05, 04:08 AM
siggyfawn
Visiting Guest
Chewed cord (maybe stupid question)

Can I repair a chewed cord myself with electrical tape? My concern is this is a space heater, the cord gets warm is it is. And I don't really want to burn my house down.

This is the type of heater I'm talking about

But I can't really afford a new heater at the moment, and I'm freezing. Any suggestions? =)

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-05, 05:51 AM
It's always best to replace a damaged cord. If just the outer jacket is damaged, then you can do so. But, it would be much better to have a electrician look at it.

Old 11-26-05, 05:54 AM
siggyfawn
Visiting Guest
there's two wires in the cord, and one of them is complete severed. I was going to just twist it together and wrap it in electric tape but I'm fairly sure that's a bad idea.

Originally Posted by weebee
It's always best to replace a damaged cord. If just the outer jacket is damaged, then you can do so. But, it would be much better to have a electrician look at it.

Old 11-26-05, 06:21 AM
You can pick up a cord for that thing at any hardware store for around $5 bucks, and install it yourself. Don't just twist it together and tape it.

Old 11-26-05, 06:28 AM
Do not even think about repairing a damaged cord. That is foolhardy. Buy a new length of cord and replace it.

Old 11-26-05, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by siggyfawn
there's two wires in the cord, and one of them is complete severed. I was going to just twist it together and wrap it in electric tape but I'm fairly sure that's a bad idea.
No, you'll need to replace the cord. Where is the damage at on the cord? If it's near the heater you may be able to just cut out the damaged area and reattach it to the heater. But make sure you do not end up in a situation were you'll then need a extension cord.