DAMN apartment #$%@ light switch

Old 11-27-05, 05:45 PM
DAMN apartment #$%@ light switch

had loose cover on light switches for bathroom. toggle switch types, right side light, left fan...........yer standard set up. removed to straighten also, as a screw holding the right side switch had come loose from the top........and noticed that the damn wires, capped off set back in the switch, looked way overstripped to me. capped off, yes, but all stripped to the copper. i am thinking this is not a problem since everything works fine, i've been here for ten months and no fire yet, harharhar.....and the damn things have probably been that way since this place was half-arse wired back in 1987-1989. apartment complex, so my building has 15 other units. imagine how all the other switches in this apartment look, then multiply that by all the other apartments in this building, then all 830 units on the property. is this an issue or am i paranoid pasta again? keerist.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-05, 06:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You just havta hope that the electrician wasn't a total maroon and knew how to pack a box so that these overly stripped back wires will not touch each other. What can I say?

Old 11-27-05, 07:08 PM
uh, they do touch, they're twisted around each other and have a red cap on them...........copper, solid copper, coming out of what looks like a white trunk.......i assume since they're touching and haven't gone zap yet...........no danger? HELP!

Old 11-27-05, 07:15 PM
They are supposed to be connected. They are likely the neutral wires for the light and fan.

There should not be copper wire visible. Either the installer stripped too much insulation or did not properly install the wire nut.

Stripping too much insulation is only an issue if the bare wire contacts something it shouldn't. It is poor workmanship.

An improperly installed wire nut MAY eventually lead to a failed connection.

However, your choices are limited.

This is an apartment, so you cannot legally do anything yourself. In fact, what you already did is more than you should have done. You can call your landlord and complain or you can live with it. The choice is yours. It doesn't sound like something that is worth getting all bent out of shape over.

Old 11-27-05, 07:20 PM
racraft, agreed..........it appears to me that these solid copper wires in the back were really not overstripped.......they look to be just solid copper with no covering...........but the only way to investigate would be to yank the entire guts out, which i will not do, as i 1) should not since it's an apartment, and 2) will not because i dunno how to rewire from scratch. the maintenance supervisor here confirmed that these places were SLAPPED TOGETHER quick. i would bet my bottom dollar this particular switch is one of MANY if not ALL in this building. hasn't burned down yet.

Old 11-27-05, 07:24 PM
If these wires are soliud copper, with no insulation, then they are ground wires. ALL ground wires in a junction box are supposed to be connected. They are then pushed to the back of the box and left.

Old 11-27-05, 07:30 PM
they're coming IN from the left trunk...........sort of in the middle more than left..........but slapped together.............GROUND WIRES THEY ARE! hey, if you're a drinking man, i owe you a beer! do i ask dumb questions?