how do I change an outlet

Old 11-28-05, 12:55 PM
lin703
Visiting Guest
how do I change an outlet

This old outlet in my house has 3 wires- black, white and bare ground. The black and white wires stick into holes in the back of it and I can't figure out how to get them loose. There is a little thing sticking out of the side that looks like if pushed it may let the wire loose but it is not working. Can anyone tell me how to get this outlet off so I can put in a new one?
Thank you.

Old 11-28-05, 01:06 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Those little holes are called back stabs. They are unreliable and should not be used. To release the wire you insert a small flat screwdriver into the rectangular slot next to the hole and press hard. It will release the spring that holds the wire in place.

When you install the new receptacle do not use back stab connections (if there are any), but rather use the screw terminals. Also, don't forget to break off the tabs on the side of the receptacle if the existing receptacle has the tabs broken off. Since the existing receptacle has three black wires and three white wires you will need to use a wire nut and a pigtail on each side to make the connections to avoid using the back stabs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: