Closet Lights

Old 11-28-05, 05:29 PM
Closet Lights

I am re-wiring my 100 +/- year old house. The closets are small and some of them have sloped ceilings due to the pitch of the roof cutting onto them. I can't see how I can install any tyoe of fixture without breaching code. I think the bulb needs to be enclosed (in a cover) and a 1 foot clearance from anything. Is there any sort of low heat fixture or any other possilble solution? Thanks for your suggestions...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-05, 05:33 PM
Battery operated lights are a possibility.

Old 11-28-05, 05:42 PM
Low-profile fluorescent fixtures mounted on the wall above the doors might provide enough clearance. It really depends on the depth of the closet.

Old 11-28-05, 05:44 PM
The rules for closet lighting are pretty complex, so I won't try to detail them yet. Surface incandescent fixtures need the most clearance. Recessed cans need half as much, although they don't distribute the light very well in closets. Fluoresent fixtures also only need half as much clearance as surface incandescents. If you can't meet any of the clearance requirements, then good lighting just outside the closet usually does the trick.

If you'd like to get into more specifics, we need the exact dimensions of the closet.

Old 11-28-05, 05:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Those under-sink-cabinet 18 inch fluorescent light fixtures only hang down about 3? inches, if that, from my memory. You know - those ones with that clear or white, ribbed lens cover. Plus, flourescent bulbs generate less heat per the amount of light they give off.

Sloped ceilings are usually in those 1 1/2 story houses -those houses that have attic bedrooms - Cape Cod style. Sometimes you can find a chase location where you can go through the unused portion of the sloped attic-room and get down into a first floor closet where you hug the wall with the Romex and then down thru the floor into the basement. That's like the easiest way to get the wire up there. Or. along side the waste stack if your fish tape will hug the stack enough. But drilling and fishing wire conventionally through wals can be done also.

Old 11-28-05, 06:40 PM
I don't have any trouble getting a new romex line to the closet. Again the issue is clearance. I'm not even terribly concerned with the quality of light. There is a big difference between poor light an no light. The under the counter lights seem to be a good idea. It is a 2 story colonial style house but it has a unique roof line that cuts into the corners of the house, just where the closets are. They (the closets) are 2 ft deep as was the style at the time...

Old 11-28-05, 06:45 PM
With a two-foot-deep closet, a fluorescent fixture mounted on the wall over the door is the clear choice.

Old 11-28-05, 06:45 PM
I use T12 under counter fluorescents in closets all the time. Mounted above the door on the wall as others have stated.
They are a great thing in closets with weird dimensions.

Old 11-28-05, 08:26 PM
Would they have a pull chain or would you wire a switch??/

Old 11-28-05, 09:22 PM
Usually a wall switch.

Old 11-30-05, 05:05 PM
caneren,

The space in your closet bounded by the sides and back closet wall and planes extending from the closet floor vertically to a height of 6' or the highest clothes hanging rod and parallel to the walls at a horizontal distance of 24" from the sides and back of the closet walls and then 12" on the back and sides above the 6'.....Long story SHORT as john stated...they get complex....

My question is what is the width of the closet?, as the depth seems fine.

Old 12-01-05, 07:40 AM
Speaking of this subject, if you install a traditional incandescent fixture, but use a flourescent bulb in its place (the ones that look similar to traditional bulbs), which codes are you bound by - the ones that pertain to incandescent fixtures or the ones that pertain to flourescent fixtures?

Thanks.

Old 12-01-05, 07:45 AM
If you put an fluorescent bulb in an incandescent fixture, it's no longer an incandescent fixture.