Smoke Detector Wiring

Old 11-29-05, 12:10 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Smoke Detector Wiring

On the SD's I purchased there are just 3 wires (black, white and yellow). Can I use 14/2 wg NM to wire these ( ie: use the bare ground wire for the interconnect [yellow] connection ) or must I use 14/3 wg and just clip the ground wire?

Old 11-29-05, 12:12 PM
R
No, you cannot use the bare ground wire to interconnect them. You are not allowed to use a ground wire as anything but a ground wire.

You need 14/3 (or 12/3). The ground wires get connected together, and also connected to the boxes if using metal boxes.

Old 11-29-05, 12:51 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This interconnecting wire is NOT bonded to any grounding system and will receive voltage when the alarms are set off. YOU MUST USE ANOTHER INSULATED (not green) conductor.

Old 11-29-05, 01:02 PM
J
OK, that's what I was planning on doing anyway. Seems someone should make 14/3 and 12/3 without the ground wire for SD's. Black/White/Yellow just for this purpose.

Old 11-29-05, 01:51 PM
R
Um Joe, you need the ground wire for the box, if the box is metal.

Old 11-30-05, 01:07 PM
J
No problem there, this is all plastic boxes with NM cable.

Old 11-30-05, 03:55 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joe.Carrick
OK, that's what I was planning on doing anyway. Seems someone should make 14/3 and 12/3 without the ground wire for SD's. Black/White/Yellow just for this purpose.

Well, think about this. If they did, it would cost more because it wouldn't be NEARLY as needed and very little of it would sell because electricians aren't going to want to stock it on their limited space trucks when it's only a few pennies less worth of copper. Therefore, economies of scale means the cable will cost a lot more, assuming even the major stores (other than wholesale houses) would want to risk the shelf space for it.

Old 11-30-05, 04:37 PM
Hmmm.....just wanted to add...they do make 14/3 without ground. Not sure if all supply houses carry it these days but they do make it.

The real point here is what IF someone in the attic lets say AFTER YOU...decides to add something and they say...hey that ceiling box is a nice place to tap into.....then if you did not have a ground how could ANYTHING beyond that be bonded to the systems grounding system.

You can never assume anything on what MIGHT happen down the road....making sure that ground wire ( bare ) is their insures if someone ever does tap into it...you will HOPE they use the ground as intended.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: