unsure??

Old 11-29-05, 01:58 PM
jazzyy
Visiting Guest
unsure??

Newbie here and definately not an electrician!!Situation/question: I've installed 5 outlet boxes on top of our living room wall(we have a 20" bulk head that runs around our living room).I've run all the wiring and installed the outlets.Now the fun part!I'm tying into an exsisting outlet in the kitchen/dining area.I've ran a line from the existing to the new switch (to only turn on/off the 5 new outlets),Then i ran a line from the new switch to the 1st new outlet.Turned on the breaker and nothing.Do i need to run another line from existing rec.to the 1st new box as well?I have another question about the new switch and how it's supposed to be wired but i'll send that after i can get help on this !!Any help is appreciated,thanks,John note: these new boxes i'm installing are only gonna be used for small lighted houses for the holidays(if that's any help)

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-05, 02:04 PM
Well, first and foremost you need to find another source for power. You cannot tap into a kitchen/dining circuit. You would create a code violation.

As for what you did wrong, we can't answer that until us exactly how you wired things.

Old 11-29-05, 02:13 PM
jazzyy
Visiting Guest
well i was gonna tie into the receptcle on the other side of this partition wall but when i removed the plate there was no where to tie in ?I don't want to violate any codes and/or blow the house up!! There is another outlet on another wall in the living room which i might be able to tie into but i'll tell ya with cathedral ceilings in here i'm limited to where to get power from,John

Old 11-29-05, 02:16 PM
Well you could go all the way back to the panel and create a new circuit.

Old 11-29-05, 02:20 PM
jazzyy
Visiting Guest
Damm!! I thought this was gonna be a simple thing thread giving the wife a few new outlets for christmas !!Looks like she will be getting extension cords hanging down all over the place instead!John

Old 11-29-05, 02:23 PM
jazzyy
Visiting Guest
Hey racraft just for my knowledge you mentioned violating the code?So anytime you want to install a new receptcle you can't tie into kit/dining room circut?John

Old 11-29-05, 02:26 PM
Circuits that serve kitchen counter tops and dining room receptacles cannot serve any other place in the house (except for limited other places in the kitchen).

You can tap a circuit in the living room, a circuit in the foyer, a circuit in the basement (although I probably wouldn't), a lighting circuit in the kitchen or dining room or many other places.

In general, avoid kitchen/dining rooms receptacle circuits, bathroom circuits and laundry circuits.

Just for curiosity, what size and type cable did you use for the circuit? That will also limit the circuits you can tie into.

Old 11-29-05, 02:29 PM
It's more complicated than that (after all, the code is over 700 pages long), but essentially you can't tap power from any circuit serving receptacles in a dining room, or serving receptacles serving the refrigerator or kitchen countertop receptacles. You also can't tap into the circuit serving laundry room receptacles, or bathroom receptacles.

In general, you should regard all of the existing circuits in your house as already serving all the loads they were designed for. Tapping power for something trivial usually isn't a problem, but any time you need receptacles to support something significant, you should be thinking about a new circuit. And people's understanding of the difference between trivial and significant isn't always very good. We get people saying that they "only" had a space heater plugged in, without understanding that a space heater is a very large load.

Old 11-29-05, 02:48 PM
jazzyy
Visiting Guest
One thing i wanted to mention that when i started this project and found the breaker to this recept and shut it off i found out that this receptcle that i wanted to use is actually tied into a couple receptcles in the living room and to a light in our small foyer,there is nothing in the kitchen thats tied to his box(circut)? Please keep in mind again in no way am I an electrician!!So if it seems like I'm repeating any questions this is why,John

Old 11-29-05, 02:55 PM
jazzyy
Visiting Guest
So i guess my question would be since the receptcle is not tied into anything in the kitchen could i still use it? This house is about 12-13 yrs old and i have no clue as to how it was wired.Seems wierd to me that this particular recp has no tie ins in the kitchen just some outlets in the living room

Old 11-29-05, 02:58 PM
You are contradicting yourself.

In your first post you said "kitchen/dining area" and now you are stating "there is nothing in the kitchen thats tied to his box(circut)" [sic].

Which is it? It cannot be both.

Old 11-29-05, 02:58 PM
So now we know a whole lot about where this receptacle is not located. Where exactly is it located?

Old 11-29-05, 03:05 PM
jazzyy
Visiting Guest
It's not tied to anything in the kitchen racraft.When checking to find the right breaker last night there were actually 2 breaker's that tie in the kitchen rec,stove,countertop recep,kitchen flourscent light.So i turned them 2 back on and found the breaker which is off right now,the kitchen/dining is 1 room with this partition wall seperating the living room sorry if being mis leading John

Old 11-29-05, 03:10 PM
jazzyy
Visiting Guest
The receptcle i want to use is on the dining room side of the partiton wall.On the other side of this wall is our living room.

Old 11-29-05, 03:12 PM
You cannot use a dining room receptacle.

Old 11-29-05, 03:19 PM
jazzyy
Visiting Guest
Ok got it .Hey guy's i really appreciate your info you were very helpfull!.I'm gonna call an electrician,which is the best thing,at least i've done the hard stuff !!Have a great day and thanks again,John