PVC Conduit

Old 11-29-05, 10:47 PM
whidbey12
Visiting Guest
Question PVC Conduit

Is PVC conduit allowed for use in attached garage to run additional circuits or does code require metalic conduit??

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-05, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by whidbey12
Is PVC conduit allowed for use in attached garage to run additional circuits or does code require metalic conduit??
Schedule 40 electical nonmetallic conduit (RNMC) is allowed but only where it isnt subject to physical damage. As far as code is concerned its treated pretty much like NM-B cable (romex). In order to run pvc along the surface of walls for receptacle placement it would need to be schedule 80 type rnmc. You can also use metallic conduit such as EMT.

Old 11-30-05, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by whidbey12
You need to check your local codes. For example in my municipality metallic raceway is required where wiring is exposed in garages and basements. However this is not a requirement of the state code or NFPA 70 (NEC).

Old 11-30-05, 04:33 PM
Great advice ArgMeMatey in that every region and local AHJ may have a different outlook on that. As a DIY forum we can assist you in how to do it and how to run it but can't really give you specific CODE requirements for your specific area in which they may enforce something different than other areas.

The best advice is to simply place a call down to your local building code department and ask them...trust me that is what they LIVE for to explain to home owners the way THEY want it done....( well I like to think they LIVE for it..lol )

Basically......saying someing is " Subject to Physical Damage" is a easy cope out in many cases......their really has to be conditions subject to the damage before I have seen many officials pull a hissy on it.....but better safe than sorry so I suggest give them a call and firing it by them to be 100% sure before you buy material you may be stuck with.

Old 11-30-05, 08:36 PM
whidbey12
Visiting Guest
Thanks for input

Ok, thanks for advise, I will call them tomorrow.