Electric Wall Oven sparking&tripping circuit breaker

Old 12-01-05, 12:54 PM
bhk
Electric Wall Oven sparking&tripping circuit breaker

Kenmore Wall oven, about 12 yrs old, works fine except:

Often, but not always, when I hit the "bake button" to turn on there is a Loud Bang and you can see a spark inside. Dead.

Go to breaker box, cb is tripped half way. Turn back on, seems to work fine, but never for sure (erratic). Repair man has been here 3x, of course if won't do it when he is here. Last week he said maybe weak breaker, so put in new ones. Did NOT solve the problem.

The circuit control board for the oven was replaced 2 yrs ago, it was a GE part.

HELP appreciated! I cannot live like this and am worried about safety.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-05, 01:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You are right to be worried; this behavior is certainly abnormal for an electric overn. It sounds to me like one of the heating elements is shorting out to the case of the oven. Did the repairman examine or replace the elements and/or the mounts? The dead circuit board was probably a side effect of the short.

With the breaker off, closely examine the heating elements and look for arcing or burn marks where they attach to the oven. If you can tell where the visible sparks originate, look in that spot first.

Your repairman is wrong about the breaker; it is correctly doing its job by cutting the power when the oven malfunctions.

Old 12-01-05, 04:39 PM
bhk
Thank you, thank you Ben! I don't know if he checked the elements and mounts............

I will check the oven myself and then call the repair service tomorrow (have service contract)...............