Gfci outlet in but wrong receptacle?

Old 12-01-05, 05:38 PM
Question Gfci outlet in but wrong receptacle?

Hello all,

I just finished installing a 15 amp circuit breaker into the box and ran some conduit to the outlet in the bathroom, and, wow it works! The manufacture calls for a 15 amp dedicated circuit and at the box and it is, but upon further inspection, I noticed that the receptacle, or as I call it the place to plug in, was a 20 amp. Would this need to be changed or is it okay? Thanks...

Bryan

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-05, 05:45 PM
Well, yes it would. You are not allowed to put a 20 amp GFCI receptacle on a 15 amp circuit. Note that a 20 amp GFCI receptacle means a GFCI that will accept a 20 amp plug, and not just one that provides 20 amp protection for feed through devices.

However, in the US you are not allowed to run 15 amp circuits to a bathroom. For bathrooms you must run 20 amp circuits.

So, use the receptacle, but replace the breaker and the wire.

Old 12-01-05, 06:02 PM
Question Follow up on Gfci outlet...

Hi,

I'm kinda confused as the manufacture calls for a dedicated 15 amp circuit and yet you mention that it is only acceptable to run a 20 amp to the bathroom. I'm wondering why they would state, for protection of the device I assume, that a 15 is necessary, yet code, I guess, has a mandatory 20 amp to bathroom. Wouldn't that be illegal to ask for a 15 amp knowing it didn't afford the protection necessary for the life of the product, thus voiding a guarantee? I don't understand...

Bryan

Old 12-01-05, 06:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What manufacturer??? Is this simply a bath receptacle or is it a piece of equipment?

Old 12-01-05, 06:10 PM
Gfci outlet follow up...

The manufacture is Bain Ultra and they make airbaths...I just went to their site again and they do say a 15 amp circuit is necessary, but then they say to use 12 guage wire...I thought 14 went with a 15 amp circuit? Looks like I might be needing to go back up to the attic!

Bryan

Old 12-01-05, 06:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
OK, so this is not for a vanity receptacle.

If the manufacturer calls for 15 amps and #12 that is what you do.