Installing 30 AMP outlets

Old 12-02-05, 01:12 PM
J
jeffn
Visiting Guest
Smile Installing 30 AMP outlets

Hi,

I built a new garage and installed a 100 AMP service panel box in the garage. It has lights and outlets connect that are working fine. Now, I have a 30 AMP duel breaker that I want to use to run 1 or 2 outlets for a welder or tools. Now that's my question: what should I use the 30 AMP breaker for? I thinking before I sheetrock the garage I better have everything I need or may need or a new owner may need. I have additional space for more 15 and 20 amp breakers, so I don't need the space. Now, I have the duel breaker (30 AMP) what size wire do I need? Are there special outlets that I need to use? What is a 30 amp breaker normally used for?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-05, 01:40 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Use 10 guage wire for 30A.

Uses may include large air compressors, a welder, etc. Unfortunately, these devices might need a larger or smaller circuit than 30A, so it is a shot in the dark as to whether you would actually need it. If so, the receptical needed would vary depending on whether you are running a 220V device or a 110V/220V device (like a dryer) which also needs a neutral wire.

My suggestion would be to run conduit from the panel to good sized electrical boxes in a few locations around the garage. Just put a blank cover over the box. That way, you can go ahead and sheetrock without spending money on cable you may or may not ever use. Then, when need power at any of these locations (whether it be 30A, 20A, 40A, etc. and 110V or 220V), you can pull the appropriate wire through the conduit, and install the appropriate receptical and breaker without damaging sheetrock.

I'd use at least 3/4" conduit, and as few elbows as needed.

Are you putting in a drop ceiling, or sheetrocking it too?

Old 12-02-05, 01:50 PM
C
As for the recepticals, there are two common 30A 220V recepticals that are use d in new construction/remodeling today. They are the NEMA 6-30R (straight 220V) and the NEMA 14-30R (110V/220V...this is the new four prong receptical used for dryers). The NEMA 10-30R is the old three prong (ungrounded) 110V/220V receptical used in pre-1996 dryer circuits. As far as I know, it is illegal to install one of these recepticals today unless it is to repair an existing grandfathered install.

See this chart for pictures of the various recepticals.

One other note...15A and 20A recepticals CANNOT be used on 30A circuits...only 30A recepticals. (It is allowed, in the USA, to install 15A recepticals on 20A circuits, and it is allowed to install 50A recepticals on 40A circuits. All other recepticals must match the breaker size.)

Old 12-02-05, 04:27 PM
M
Originally Posted by jeffn
I have a 30 AMP duel breaker that I want to use to run 1 or 2 outlets for a welder or tools.
Also remember that for these kinds of circuits, you only get ONE receptacle per circuit breaker,

Old 12-03-05, 11:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by MAC702
Also remember that for these kinds of circuits, you only get ONE receptacle per circuit breaker,
Mac, where do you find this? I have never seen a restriction on receptacles such as this.
As long as a load is not fastened in place you can have as many receptacles as you want on a circuit in a residential setting.

Old 12-03-05, 01:14 PM
C
Anything 240V, or above 20A 120V becomes a dedicated circuit, where you are permitted only one recepticle or fixed appliance per circuit.

That said, install 3+G #10 wire or empty conduit to a 4 square box where you thing you might need it, and put a blank plate there, and just leave the other end in your circuit panel unconnected, until the time comes you need to use it, then attach the needed 3 or 4 prong, twist or straight blade to the box, with its plate and maybe a paster ring, and connect to the panel.

Old 12-03-05, 01:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by classicsat
Anything 240V, or above 20A 120V becomes a dedicated circuit, where you are permitted only one recepticle or fixed appliance per circuit.
Can you quote this in the NEC? I can't find it.

Fixed appliance, yes. Receptacle, no.

Old 12-05-05, 08:04 AM
J
jeffn
Visiting Guest
Smile Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the replies. The good thing about my garage is that it has actic trusses, so I have crawl spaces on each side. I can run conduit down the walls and the to panel to make it easier to run wires after the walls and ceiling are sheetrocked. Thansk again for the advice.

Old 12-10-05, 09:01 AM
D
I am also wiring for 30A circuits. I read in this forum that you cannot use 20A recepticles for a 30A circuit...is that true? I was planning on doing that. Here's my plan...I have 5 (and 6 for the other) recepticles strung together to one 30A circuit. Each outlet is a 20A / 125V recepticle. This wiring job is for a workshop where I can be running multiple tools at the same time. I used 10-2 throughout. Any thoughts??? Tks!

Old 12-10-05, 09:20 AM
J
As we are discussing in the other thread, it is certainly true that you cannot put a 20-amp receptacle on a 30-amp circuit. Let's not discuss this same thing in two threads.

Old 12-10-05, 09:25 AM
D
good idea John, thanks (and sorry).