Transfer switches - any ideas?

Old 12-02-05, 07:55 PM
Transfer switches - any ideas?

Hi Everyone,

I am considering some sort of backup power generator setup for my new house. I have not yet decided on the whole house or only a subset. I will likely only power a subpanel as the entire house would probably be overkill considering the frequency of power loss. Anyway, I am looking into transfer switches and was wondering if anyone had any expierence or opinions? I am not sure if I want to go automatic or manual. Can anyone recommend some transfer switches, auto or manual? Thanks a lot.

Greg

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-05, 11:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
General rule of thumb:

Automatic = Real expensive.
$1200+ for a 200 amp, not including generator or installation.

Manual transfer panel (GenTran, Reliance, Emergen, etc) $200-$400.

Old 12-03-05, 01:07 PM
Depending on where you are, you might be able to get a sub panel that is set up to act as a transfer switch.

Old 12-03-05, 01:13 PM
I'm sorry, I should have stated that the auto ones that are in the price range I wrote are for main transfer switches.

Cutler Hammer, Generac and others do have automatic transfer sub-panels which are MUCH less expensive. In the $300-$400 range. Generac I believe also includes them with some models.

Old 12-03-05, 05:25 PM
OK, thanks for the replies. I think I am going to do a search on the Cutler Hammer and the Genrac.

I think I want to avoid the transfer switch / breaker panel combo. I did see one of those today at Home Depot. I think I will have more flexibility with the subpanel and the switch seperate. Plus, if I can install the subpanel now and decide a transfer switch / generator later with relatively little rework.

Old 12-03-05, 05:41 PM
Actually, the Cutler-Hammer/Briggs ones I use are a sub-panel with the automatic transfer mechanism built in. You can get this ahead of time and install it.

If you decide on a whole house transfer (main transfer switch) no sub-panel is necessary. You just need to have the switch installed between the meter and main panel. This is definitely NOT a DIY job though!

Old 12-03-05, 05:44 PM
Old 12-04-05, 06:38 AM
If it will be a manual transfer, then I suggest a main panel with two interlocked main breakers (200A and 30A). This way during an outage you can choose what to turn on, and not be restricted to what is on the subpanel only. See Square D and Reliance Controls.

Old 12-04-05, 04:19 PM
Do a search for GenConnect, these install between the meter and panel (your utility may even offer them for lease). These allow you to easily connect your generator and run anything in the house (up to the limit of the generator).

I bought mine outright for about $650, and I can run everything except my heat pump on a 6500 watt generator.

Old 12-05-05, 08:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try this link, it retrofits on the existing panel.

www.intertlockkits.com