electric baseboard heater

Old 12-03-05, 01:17 PM
BD#3
Visiting Guest
Question electric baseboard heater

I would like to rewire the heater back to its original position on the wall. It currently is wired to a box right beside it just off the floor. the top black wire from the heater is connected to the white wire from the lower box and the bottom wire from the heater is connected to the red wire coming thru the wall from the original location. the black wire thru the wall from the original is connected to the black wire from the box. At the original position there are 3 2 wire coming into the box. All the reds are joined and taped together as are the blacks. One pair goes to the heater, one is probably power and I have no ideas about the third. How do I rewire to connect the baseboard heater to the original wall position? TY

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-05, 01:23 PM
Start again, and give us all the information.

Are there other baseboard heaters involved? Are there any thermostats? is this 120 volts or 240 volts?

What do you mean by original wire? What do you mean by box on the wall? Do you know any history of this?

Old 12-03-05, 01:44 PM
BD#3
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by racraft

Are there other baseboard heaters involved? Are there any thermostats? is this 120 volts or 240 volts?

What do you mean by original wire? What do you mean by box on the wall? Do you know any history of this?
This is a single 4 foot 120 volt baseboard heater. the thermostat is currently mounted on the wall right beside the heater and just off the floor in a surface mounted electrical box. When we removed a mirror from a wall accross from the heater we uncovered what I believe to be the original electrical box where the thermostat was.

Old 12-03-05, 02:13 PM

In your original post you talk about the box on the wall and the original wiring. It already sounds like it IS using the original wiring.

Old 12-03-05, 02:21 PM
BD#3
Visiting Guest
Question electric base board heater

This is a single 120 volt baseboard unit 4 feet long. Currently the thermostat is mounted right next to the heater, just off the floor. We recently removed a mirror from an adjacent wall and uncovered an elecrical box which I'm sure was the original position of the thermostat. This original box has 3 2wires entering it, all three red wires are taped together as are the three black wires. I'm pretty sure one of those pairs of wires is power in, another goes down to the heater and the third I have no idea. The heater is currently wired as follows. the top wire from the heater is connected to a white wire from the thermostat and the bottom wire from the heater is connected to the red wire coming thru the wall from the original postition. The black wire from the original position is connected to the black wire from the thermosat. How do I connect the wires so that the thermostat can be moved to the original wall position?

Old 12-03-05, 02:38 PM
This does NOT sound like a 120 volt thermostat, based on there being red and black wires from the wall and at the location where you think the original thermostat was located. First, verify that this is a 120 volt heater. What size is the breaker, both in amps and volts? Using a voltmeter measure the voltage across the red and white wires from the wall.

Do you have other baseboard heaters in the house?

What test equipment do you have?