It's driving me crazy!

Old 12-04-05, 01:50 PM
edkroszfam
Visiting Guest
It's driving me crazy!

I have a GFCI in my garage which is the first outlet on the circuit. There are four other outlets on the circuit which ends in the basement. I have my refrigerator plugged into the last oulet. Periodically, I find the power dead and my refrigerator thawing. Since I just moved into this house, I'm pulling out my hair to understand why the GFCI is tripping when the refrigerator is the only thing plugged in. I've swapped out GFCI oulets and the new one is periodically tripping. Can't seem to figure this one out. Any suggestions?

Old 12-04-05, 02:03 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It is not recommended to plug a refrigerator or freezer into a GFCI protected receptacle. The problem is that the refrigerator or freezer MAY trip the GFCI. This happens over time as the appliance gets older.

My advice to you is to run a dedicated non-GFCI circuit for the refrigerator (best solution), move the refrigerator to a non-GFCI protected receptacle, second best solution, rewire the circuit (in one of several ways) so that the refrigerator receptacle is not GFCI protected.

Depending on what you do, you MAY need to buy a simplex receptacle for the refrigerator.

Old 12-04-05, 02:21 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Not only is it ill-advised to plug a refrigerator into a GFCI-protected receptacle, it is even more ill-advised to plug a refrigerator into a circuit serving all of your bathrooms receptacles and your garage. Best bet is to have a new circuit installed for your refrigerator. The current circuit is full without it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: