Sub panels, and generator transfer switch panel.

Old 12-03-05, 05:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Sub panels, and generator transfer switch panel.

All right- I added a sub panel from my main breaker box to add more circuit- Right now I'm in the process of adding a generator transfer switch panel also. My main box is pretty old and is completely full of wires- So it makes it hard if not impossible to find the nuetral and grounding wires for the circuits I want to add to the generator transfer switch panel. Do the nuetral and grounding wires have to be in the same panel box that their circuit is in? Thanks for the help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-05, 08:41 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok....first thing I need to tell you ( which you probably already know ) is you need to install the transfer switch which is required on all portable or fixed standby power systems. I believe you stated that you were going to do that so thats good.

Now...You really need to make sure you use the same neutral and ground from that very panel box you are feeding to the transfer switch from . Now it is also important to note are you again doing a Neutral Switched or Neutral Not Switched.

Because the grounding requirements are different on BOTH systems and it is important you are clear on that part.

I suggest reviewing Art 702 and 705 of the NEC for a better understanding of the requirements put forth.