Please Help! Remote not working

Old 12-04-05, 06:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please Help! Remote not working

Can you help me with my remote?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a DESA; gas logs; I think vent free fireplace. Model #8510419
FB32NCA. The remote is not working this yr. It has in the past. It has a new battery (9 volt). What can I do to check this all out and find out what is wrong?
Where on earth can I find an owners manual for the remote--not the fireplace???? I have spent hrs. trying to find one...Not one to buy; just one to view on the internet. Can someone else try to see what they can come up with? Let me know if you can find it.
I just want my remote to work.
Kyle

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-05, 07:14 AM
DESA International has a website www.desa.com This may provide you a source of parts.

If the remote control came with the system, then the system manufacturer will likely be the only source of replacements. I can tell you from much frustrating experience and an inordinate amount of research, instruction manuals usually DO NOT EXIST for dedicated remote controls such as come with TV and A/V equipment, garage doors, ceiling fans, and devices like your fireplace. The ONLY instructions for the remote are contained in the master system instruction manual.

Old 12-04-05, 11:45 AM
If I was a "top notch electronic master expert", is there some way that I can do some kind of test with my volt tester meter and trace this thing down. What would you do?
Kyle

Old 12-04-05, 05:34 PM
Can I assume that you changed the batteries in the receiver (as was suggested the last time you posted this question) and that didn't help?

Does the fireplace light if you move the switch on the receiver to the "ON" position? You should be able to turn the fireplace on and off with this switch even if the remote is not working and even if the batteries in the receiver are dead...

BTW, a moderator moved your previous thread to the "Fireplaces and Chimneys" forum...

Old 12-04-05, 07:12 PM
IF you had a schematic diagram, which you will NEVER find, you could trouble shoot the device, although it would require an oscilloscope and possible some other equipment. If you found the defective integrate circuit, it is probably custom and not available anywhere east of the Kowloon-Canton Railway line.
Then if you did have the part, it would require specialized soldering equipment, not your "cool-heat" from the shopping network.

The point is, this device costs about $1.75 out the door of the factory in CHina. Retail here would be about $29.95, but due to low damand, it it very unlikely you will ever find it. Your ONLY shot is from the fireplace manufacturer.

On top of all this, it is equally likely that something in the fireplace is decfective. Little devices like the remote are extremely reliable.