Wire Fill Limit?

Old 12-04-05, 12:25 PM
Wire Fill Limit?

According to new codelimits--
--What is the max # of conductors plus ground in 4" round pancake box that is labelled 6 cu?"
-- Is it 3" excess wire that I need outside the box? --Or how many inches?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-05, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Capt
--What is the max # of conductors plus ground in 4" round pancake box that is labelled 6 cu?"
A single 14-2 with ground cable can terminate in this box.

Originally Posted by Capt
Is it 3" excess wire that I need outside the box? --Or how many inches?
I don't understand this question.

Old 12-04-05, 01:50 PM
In Order

Thanks,
I just finished the work in such a way as to put just one 14/2 cable in.

#2 To meet the wire length required inside a box, as I understand it, your definitive code criteria is to have a minimum wire length that will extend outside the box edge.

Old 12-04-05, 01:59 PM
I still do not understand your question. You need six inches of wire inside the box.

Old 12-04-05, 02:29 PM
Try

Put a ruler and measure the wire length that that extends outside a box. Explain where you aren't clear?
6" inside a box will surely do, as will 8 0r 10" but just for my wits I wonder what the actual code criteria is?

Old 12-04-05, 02:44 PM
The applicable code article is 300.14. The primary rule is 6" inside the box. There is a secondary rule that the conductor must extend at least 3" outside the box if the box is less than 8" in height or width. Neither rule overrules the other. You must comply with both.

The reason that everybody is focusing only on the 6" part of the rule is because you have a pancake box. If you comply with the 6" rule in a pancake box, you certainly also comply with the 3" rule.

Old 12-04-05, 02:59 PM
Nice

Thanks for the great info. The project is comming out well: 2 sconces--one had to locate over a stud, hence the pancake box. The other sconce is in the hollow area of a plaster wall--so I used a single gang old work box. (Is there an easier box for plaster.) I'm about to wire the last fixture.
And that's how my project is coming out. Thanks for the support--I feel like you're right there with me.