porcelin lightbulb fixtures

Old 12-05-05, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
porcelin lightbulb fixtures

i just purchsed 3 cheap pocelin light bulb fixture...im going to run them on one switch for attic lighting...they have 2 brass and 2 neutral silver screws,am i better off pig tailing and using one of each screws....the reason im asking <im aware it is fine to use all 4 screws as long as one wire under each> is because im using 12ga wire (20 amp ciruit for attic fan also)and i think it would be easier to just have to run wire set of wires to the terminal on the light fixture..i only paid 2.00 for them and i guess i got what i paid for,wasnt looking for decorative lights .....also there is no ground on them,i use those sprial energy saver bulb,will this cause a problem for those bulbs....thanks for the advice...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-05, 09:00 AM
You can pigtail the connections and use two screws, or you can use all four screws. The choice is yours. I personally would use the screws since it is less work, but the choice is yours. If you use a pair of needle nose pliers to twist the wire it's not too bad. remember to put the wires clockwise around the screw.

There is no ground because the porcelain fixture does not need one. The spiral fluorescent lights will work fine without one. Most table and floor lamps don't have a ground either.

Old 12-05-05, 09:12 AM
thanks ra...i was concerned about the ground cause i was told once in florescent lighting if it is not grounded properly it will cause problems with the bulbs....im not sure if those spiral bulbs are actually true florscent other then i see that they are dim when they are first turned on then brighten up after a few seconds,but they do make a differnce in the bill at the end of the month.....thanks again for all your time in replying to my posts

Old 12-05-05, 09:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by lovmy4x4
i was concerned about the ground cause i was told once in florescent lighting if it is not grounded properly it will cause problems with the bulbs
The spiral bulbs are actually "compact fluorescent" and do not require a ground like traditional fluorescent fixtures. The CF lamps use 20-25% the energy of standard incandescant bulbs while producing the same amount of light; they are very effective on reducing the energy bill for frequently used lighting.

Old 12-05-05, 10:20 AM
I would make up the grounds and tuck them in the box. If you ever wanted to add a receptacle to this circuit (it would be switched, of course) you will need the grounds.