Update electric service

Old 12-05-05, 07:25 PM
flg8tor
Visiting Guest
Update electric service

Hello
I am new to the site and have a few question we just purchased a home in Florida that was built in 1969 how can I tell if the wiring itself needs to be updated or just the service panel we want to add centeral heat and air and build a new kitchen and dining room in the existing garage . Please help don't have alot of capital and trying to do alot of the work ourselves.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-05, 07:38 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What you need is a "demand load calculation". Various home wiring books explain how to do it, or you can google that term. You'll come up with something like this web site.

Old 12-05-05, 08:07 PM
flg8tor
Visiting Guest
Upgrade service

will this help me tell if my wire is sufficent or not I am new to this , this is our first house

Old 12-05-05, 08:12 PM
J
If the calculation says that you need a service upgrade, then you'll need to ask your power company if their existing service wires can handle the increased size of the service. Also, I'll note that a service upgrade is not a DIY project, except by an exceptionally experienced DIYer.

Old 12-05-05, 08:15 PM
B
I worked for a contractor in the late 60's and early 70's here in Florida and if I remember correctly, aluminum wiring was starting to be used in many homes around this period. Your home may have been built before they started using it in a lot of new homes. I am not sure if this is the case with your home but it should be looked at in my opinion. I am no help as I have very little experience with wiring but many on this site will tell you what to do if you have the aluminum wiring.

Old 12-05-05, 08:53 PM
robprime
Visiting Guest
Yes, do check that the wiring is not aluminum. From what I've just been reading, aluminum is responsible for a bunch of home fires, particularly mobile homes. And it was used quite extensively in the 70's in general home construction.

Rob

Old 12-06-05, 03:44 PM
flg8tor
Visiting Guest
if it is aluminim do it need to be replaced immediatly or just eventually?? Thank you all for your input is is much appreciated

Old 12-06-05, 03:50 PM
B
There is an approved way to connect aluminum wire to copper wire where it terminates at outlets. Someone here will chime in on how to safely get this accomplished. It will give you a more comfortable feeling when you go to sleep at night.

Old 12-06-05, 04:31 PM
J
I'd rather not open the complex subject of aluminum wiring in this thread unless and until we know if aluminum wiring is even present in the original poster's home. Otherwise, it's just a wild goose chase. If someone wants to open a discussion of aluminum wiring in their own home, please start a new thread.