What is GE doing to ME!

Old 12-05-05, 06:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is GE doing to ME!

I finished my basement wiring, and followed code to the letter.
Even went to the extra effort of putting a dedicated 20amp outlet for the washer.
I passed all my inspections, and finished all my walls....great news right?

My wife has her heart set on this sweet front load washer, made by GE...well I went to buy it yesterday, and I am making all the arrangements...when I notice...the plug on it looks funny.
I look closer, and this washer requires a dedicated 30 AMP receptical.
30AMP...what? I am screwed...the panel is all sealed up in finished drywall....when did they start making 30 washers?
Not only that...the freekin salesman tries to get me to buy it anyway...are you kidding me?

Old 12-05-05, 06:39 PM
MXSparx
Visiting Guest
Bosch makes a great front load washer and it runs on 120v 20a circuit.

Old 12-05-05, 06:43 PM
R
Originally Posted by Stevetra
I finished my basement wiring, and followed code to the letter.
Even went to the extra effort of putting a dedicated 20amp outlet for the washer.
I passed all my inspections, and finished all my walls....great news right?
Your laundry area requires a dedicated 20 amp circuit, so unless you ran two dedicated 20 amp circuits to this area, it wasn;t extra effort.

As for your problem, you learned what most people learn, only you learned it early. You're never done with your panel. Someday, sometime you will need to get at the panel. Usually it takes longer than it did for you, but it seems to eventually always happen.

It's not to late to build an access panel above your breaker panel, which gives you access to the stud cavity.

Old 12-05-05, 07:10 PM
Man, I thought I had covered all the bases.
The laundry has 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits, one for the general outlets and overhead light, and one for the duplex receptical at the washer.
I even pulled two 20 amp circuits to the garage, and one 220-50 amp circuit if I ever get around to buying in a compressor, or welder.
I put in an office, that might one day be used as a mini kitchen, and it got 2 20 amp circuits.
bedroom got a 20amp circuit, the den got a 20 amp circuit, and the bath got a dedicated 20 am circuit.
thats 9 120V circuits
Then you add the 220V circuits
Dryer
Air handler (heat pump)
Compressor (heat pump)
Garage spare.
Thats 4 220V circuits

I would have never thought I would be looking at the panel this soon.....sigh..

Old 12-05-05, 07:43 PM
Please provide the model number of this washer. Is it a spacemaker stacked washer dryer? If not, I am surprised. I have not seen any residential washing machine which required 240 volts/30 amps.

Old 12-05-05, 07:44 PM
M
Are you sure about the 30A? I just looked at the GE spec for the WBVH6240F front loader (the new really slick looking model) and it says a 15A or a 20A circuit is required. Is that the model you were looking at? Maybe you were looking at the dryer - in the brochure it looks a lot like the washer?

Old 12-06-05, 04:15 AM
Well, maybe I am overlooking something....

Here is the link to the washer:
http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_s...cfkjdgoodfkf.0

Here is what it says in the specifications:

Product Specifications

Most deliveries can be made within 3-5 business days (availability and frequencies are determined by zip code)
You will be contacted one day prior to your delivery with a 4-hour delivery window.
Delivery does NOT include undercounter installations, front load washer installations, unitized or stacked (washer/dryer) assembly.

Delivery includes removing all packing materials, removing shipping rod, connecting water hoses, connecting drain, leveling and plugging-in.

Please have your home ready for your new appliance.
There must be a dedicated three or four prong grounded electrical outlet within 36" of the washer (30-amp circuit breaker or time delay fuse must protect the outlet).
Please have outlet installed prior to delivery if it does not already exist. The Delivery Agent will NOT be able to install these outlets.
During Delivery:

Inspect your new appliance for damage. The delivery person will explain your options if damage is discovered.
Verify that your new appliance has been tested and is operational before signing the Proof of Delivery.
PLEASE INSPECT YOUR DELIVERY BEFORE SIGNING YOUR RECEIPT!

Old 12-06-05, 04:37 AM
R
Steve, You have some work to do. The GE site lists very different electrical requirements from the site you have linked to. I suggest that you go back to the store and physically look at a unit as well as look at the documentation that actually comes with the unit.

Old 12-06-05, 05:33 AM
M
Link to information on this model on the GE site:

http://products.geappliances.com/App...CH0004&TABID=2

Although this is not the model I looked up last night, this one still calls for a 15A or 20A circuit...

Old 12-06-05, 05:41 AM
A
I think it is simply a mistake in the Sam's data. Some copy editor confused electric dryer requirements with wash requirements. The 3 or 4 prong comment implies a 240 volt outlet which is normal for an electric dryer.

Old 12-06-05, 05:46 AM
C
I agree with alittle. Home Depot also sells this model, and here is the documentation for it from their web page.

It specifies a 15A or 20A 120V circuit, and states that the washer draws 12.0 amps.

Old 12-06-05, 07:43 AM
I went in again today, and yes it is a misprint in their information...sheesh..
Thanks all for the help and time spent searching.
The wall around my panel is safe for now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: