Service Upgrade

Old 12-06-05, 04:54 AM
Service Upgrade

I want to upgrade my 100AMP service to 200AMP. Got several quotes but they vary widely ($1800-$3000).

I've asked each electricians to quote me on the following:

1. service panel
2. circuit breakers to match the existing number of breakers (I will add more later)
3. New masthead and conduit (believe it or not, I have woodpeckers pecking at my wire)
4. permit(s)

What is a reasonable amount of money to get this done in Central NJ?

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-05, 05:33 AM
It would be very hard to say without knowing the exact situation. But I would recommend that you discuss the timing and coordination of such a project. If the electrician doesn't work out everything in advance with the permit, inspection and the power company, you could be in the dark and cold for longer than necessary.

Old 12-06-05, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by kevin2010
I want to upgrade my 100AMP service to 200AMP. Got several quotes but they vary widely ($1800-$3000).

I've asked each electricians to quote me on the following:

1. service panel
2. circuit breakers to match the existing number of breakers (I will add more later)
3. New masthead and conduit (believe it or not, I have woodpeckers pecking at my wire)
4. permit(s)

What is a reasonable amount of money to get this done in Central NJ?

Kevin
My rule of thumb is to take the middle estimate. You also have to consider that some contractors will use QO, some Homeline, some CH or even GE ... whatever. A 42 slot panel? SE wire in conduit/conduit body? Are some including AFCI breakers for existing circuits? Do you want it done cheaply or best reasonable solution? Since everyone has to meet code, try to create an appraisal of why they are otherwise so different.

Also consider adding this if it fits your budget and situation:
5. Quote from utility to convert overhead service to underground between pole and service entrance

I appreciate that we no longer have service wires going through one of our trees. Plus it looks better and I don't have to worry about hitting them with a ladder. I never would have thought of it but it was suggested by one of the electricians who gave me an estimate just like yours.

One thing I would have done differently was put in or at least ask about a meter pedestal with a disconnect switch. That way I could have totally de-energized the service panel while adding circuits. You don't usually see these disconnects on residential meter pedestals but you will see them used for traffic lights, street lights and so on.

You can always call your local authority to see how much the permits will cost.

Old 12-06-05, 01:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My biggest recommendation is to make sure he installs a 42 space panel. Even if you don't think you will ever use it all, put in a 42 space panel because someday you will need to use it all.

Ask them whether they will use a conduit riser or a service entrance cable. Personally, I think conduit looks much better on the outside of the house than a cable even though the initial cost may be higher.

In my area, those prices sound a bit high; $1,200 - $2,000 is reasonable for a 200A here. However, prices do vary a lot by region. Does your conduit riser go through the eve of the house? If so, there is a lot more labor to install the riser. Do the wires from the power company attach directly to your house or do they attach to the mast? If they attach to the mast, there is more materials and labor for a steel rigid conduit mast and a tighter timeline to coordinate with the power company all leading to higher cost.

Old 12-07-05, 06:32 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

So what is the best brand out there? My Home Depot only sells GE?