the use of surface mount wireway

Old 12-06-05, 05:59 AM
the use of surface mount wireway

I'd like to run this scheme by the collective brilliance of this forum. This involves a remodel, with the installation of a new 200 amp load center in an attached garage. There is no attic, therefore no crawl space above the new panel. The bottom feed from the new meter box is 1 1/2" pvc conduit under 3inches of new slab. The load center is mounted in a 4" load bearing wood stud wall. Some 20 romex cables need to transition from the load center across the top of a doorway. There is only 5" of vertical stud length available to drill from the doorway header to the supported wood joist to allow the cable passage. I don't believe this is enough stud, using the 25% rule of drilling/notching in a load bearing wall.
The wall will be sheathed in 5/8" drywall. I'd like to use a WireMold 4000 or 5400 series covered wireway to hide/protect the romex, but mounted on the surface of the drywall. This requires only about a 4' run to an adjacent crawl space. This will also allow pretty good access to the panel for future wire runs without drywall rip out. Does anyone see any issue with this technique?

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-05, 08:53 AM
Increase the depth of the section of the wall OVER the door and over the panel with 2 X 4's fixed in a horizontal direction acoss the studs.

Old 12-06-05, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by telecom guy
I'd like to use a WireMold 4000 or 5400 series covered wireway to hide/protect the romex, but mounted on the surface of the drywall. This requires only about a 4' run to an adjacent crawl space. This will also allow pretty good access to the panel for future wire runs without drywall rip out. Does anyone see any issue with this technique?

thanks in advance.
I am not an electrician. You should verify this info with your local authority and codes and make sure this has not changed in the later code cycles.

1999 NEC Section 373-5(c), Exception states that the raceway must extend directly above the enclosure. There are other conditions but this is the one that probably applies. It sounds like your application has a right angle so this would be prohibited under this section.

Maybe someone else can quote another section that specifically allows what you want to do.

Now I just thought of something else: If you properly terminate the raceway on both ends, for example with the appropriate wiremold fitting at the service panel and the right-sized junction box in the crawl space, what stops you from terminating the Romex in the crawl space j-box and splicing to THHN? I don't know what's inside Romex but if it's properly rated maybe you wouldn't even have to splice. Then you would just have to derate your conductors for bundling and calculate the percent fill.

Last edited by ArgMeMatey; 12-06-05 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Other idea
Old 12-07-05, 05:09 PM
Capt

I'm not certain you are allowed by code to put sheathed romex in a raceway.