Need more watts

Old 12-07-05, 06:53 AM
Need more watts

I've a 220v mig welder that requires 6500 watts to run at full output if I connect to a portable generator. My generator has only 3000 watts available. Is there a way to increase wattage? The generator has 2 120v outlets and 1 220v outlets. Would it be possible to make a box that would plug into the 220v outlet that I could then plug my welder into? Or are there other options? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-05, 07:05 AM
You need a different generator. Your generator produces 3000. This is less than half what you need.

Old 12-07-05, 07:31 AM
Buying a new generator is what I'm trying to prevent. Based on what info I've found on the net about watts surely there should be a "tweak" I could make to my generator to produce more wattage. Increase wire size, breaker size, etc., etc.

Old 12-07-05, 07:41 AM
There are two main parts to your generator: the engine which moves the thing and the alternator. The alternator is a device which converts mechanical power into electrical power.

If you were to replace the alternator with a larger one, and then replace the engine with a larger one to drive the larger alternator, and then replace the frame to handle the larger parts....oh, wait, that means a whole new generator *grin*

Seriously, you have a 3000W generator. You need a larger generator.

If you had a situation where you had a large enough generator, but the output was divided up into several too small circuits, then you _might_ be able to combine them to get a single higher power circuit. But you have a generator that is over-all too small.

-Jon

Old 12-07-05, 08:09 AM
There are things you can do to get more amps (with fewer volts) or more volts (with fewer amps). The watts available (amps times volts) remains constant.

Think of it this way: the engine in your generator is the only source of power. The engine will produce a certain maximum power (measured in horsepower). The only way to get more electrical power (measured in watts) out of the generator is by increasing the power source - a larger engine. Also (as winnie said) the alternator is sized to the rated power of the generator and would also need to be changed...

Old 12-07-05, 08:54 AM
Increasing the horsepower of the engine I could do. Lets say changing the performance of the alternater is possible. What components would have to be replaced/modified within the alternater?

Old 12-07-05, 08:58 AM
You can more than double the horsepower of the engine?

Most likely the entire alternator would need to be replaced with a larger one...

Again, you are talking about more than doubling the power - this is not exactly in the realm of "tweaks"...

Old 12-07-05, 09:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You absolutely need a bigger generator. Generators are usually listed at peak wattage, so your 3000W generator can only produce something like 2500W continuously. To operate your 6500W welder at maximum power, you may need a generator rated at 7500W or higher.

If you put a larger engine on the generator, you would need to entirely replace the alternator with a larger one. The wiring inside would literally melt and short out if you tried to run double the power through your alternator. This doesn't even touch on the fact that generator engines are tuned to a specifc RPM to create 60Hz AC power, so just replacing the engine will not produce a functioning generator.

Your only solutions are buy a smaller welder or buy a larger generator.

Old 12-07-05, 10:18 AM
Thanks for all the input folks. But I had to ask. I have been loking at the 7000 watt generators and right now they are just to cost prohibitive. So, I'll just go with what I got and hopefully I will land a welding project or two that will pay for a gas powered welder. Thanks again.