gfic

Old 12-07-05, 10:29 AM
skevind
Visiting Guest
gfic

i hooked up a 50 amp gfic when i turn the power on it tripps ..i hooked every thing up right per directions..could the gfic be junk..

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-05, 10:35 AM
May be "pre-tripped"

Hit the Reset Button--It may be "pre-tripped" from the factory.

Old 12-07-05, 10:59 AM
skevind
Visiting Guest
no reset

there is only a test button

Old 12-07-05, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by skevind
i hooked up a 50 amp gfic when i turn the power on it tripps ..i hooked every thing up right per directions..could the gfic be junk..
More info please. Is this gfci located in the main house panel or is it located in a detached spa panel or the like? Is it on a 220 volt circuit or 120/220 circuit? In general what is the wiring description and what the circuit serves?

Some common causes are gound wire touching a hot wire or neutral or bare part of hot wire or neutral touching metal box. Bad pump or motor. Something else on the circuit is causing the problem.

I doubt that a new gfci is bad out of the box.

Old 12-07-05, 11:05 AM
The common reasons that a GFCI falsely trips are (1) you didn't connect the circuit neutral to the breaker. (2) you didn't connect the white pigtail on the breaker to the neutral bar, or (3) you have an accidental or intentional interconnection of the grounding and neutral wires downstream from the breaker.

To see if the breaker is bad, disconnect all the wires from the breaker. If the breaker then holds, the problem is downstream. Then reconnect the wires to the breaker and disconnect the load at the far end. If the breaker then holds, the problem is at the load. Else, it is in the cabling.

Old 12-07-05, 03:07 PM
skevind
Visiting Guest
fixed

had to replace gfic