What kind of voltage meter for residential DIY wiring?


Old 12-07-05, 10:31 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 34
What kind of voltage meter for residential DIY wiring?


I need to replace a couple of old circuits. Everything is accessible from the crawlspace. I think about a regular voltage/ampere/ohm meter to check the wiring during the replacement and after I am done. What would be a good product for this?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-05, 10:48 AM
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: port chester n y
Posts: 2,117
You will realizes far more reliable voltage-readings with an "analog"-type instrument where the angle-of-defection of the "needle" is proportional to the voltage-value. Because digital-type instruments "amplify" very minute input values,very minute because of the very high inner-impedance placed across the testing points, a digital meter will detect, and amplify, minute "stray-currents" which result in a "phantom" voltage-reading.
Old 12-07-05, 11:00 AM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
I recommend you buy a $2 neon circuit tester, an $8 outlet tester (plugs in and has three lights), and a $15 voltage "tick" tester. Then you can use a cheap multimeter to distinguish 120v from 240v, and to test continuity with the ohmmeter.
Old 12-08-05, 10:29 AM
Andrew's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 930
My favorite tools for this consist of the Tick tester, as John mentioned, and a Wiggy, which is a solenoid that reacts to incoming voltage. Many electricians use these religiously, as they are very reliable. You can buy them at Menards, Home Depot, etc.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes