c-fan help

Old 12-07-05, 05:25 PM
joeil
Visiting Guest
c-fan help

ok so i (wife) wanted a c-fan in the bedroom. so i ran 3 wire BX into the ceiling put together the fan and there it hangs by the helpful hook.. and every night my wife complains that it dont work. help.
i have power both at the switch and at the box. at the switch i have 2 wire coming in black and white. i added 3 wire with a ground bx going up to the fan. i wanted to be able to control the light and the fan bye a switch. not the chain.
the switch works. i thought maybe the fan so i return the fan and did it all over again. still nothing. help...
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-05, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeil
at the switch i have 2 wire coming in black and white.
Are these wires coming from the service panel, or is this a switch loop from an existing ceiling box?

i added 3 wire with a ground bx going up to the fan.
So your BX has Black, Red, White, Green/Bare Copper?

i wanted to be able to control the light and the fan bye a switch. not the chain.
The fan instruction book should tell you which conductor inside the fan housing should be connected to the conductors in your BX to get to your switches on the wall.

the switch works.
Which switch works: The one for the fan, or for the light?

Also did you use a ceiling box and bracing combination rated for fan use?

Old 12-07-05, 05:46 PM
joeil
Visiting Guest
the 2 wires are coming from an outlet that is in the room. i then added the bx 3 wire that has a black white red and bare wire.
my thinking on this is that the white wire is not working. is there anyway to test this??

Old 12-07-05, 05:49 PM
There's no need to test anything. What's going on is very clear. The problem is that the white wire that was in the switch box is not a neutral. This is called a "switch loop" and it is impossible to extend the circuit from here without making changes elsewhere.

The only way to get this to work is if you are willing to make the receptacle unswitched. Are you?

Old 12-07-05, 05:51 PM
joeil
Visiting Guest
yes if it will get the wife off my back...hahaha

Old 12-07-05, 05:55 PM
Do you remember whether the switch used to control both halves of the receptacle, or only one half?

The next thing to do is to shut off the breaker, gently pull the receptacle out of the box without disconnecting any of the wiring, and tell us everything you see (both the wires connected to the receptacle, and the wires not connected to the receptacle), all the cables and all the connections.

Old 12-07-05, 06:09 PM
joeil
Visiting Guest
ok i dont recall if the switch controld one or both side of the outlets.
but in the outlet box i have the outlet that has a red wire and a white wire connected to it. the red is pig tailed to a red and a black wire nut. the white wire goes back into the wall also in the box is 2 more white wire that have wire nuts on them

Last edited by John Nelson; 12-07-05 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Eliminate repeated information
Old 12-07-05, 06:15 PM
No red wires in the switch box (except the one you added), right?

Let me see if I can restate what you said about the switch box. There are a total of six wires coming into the box: two red, one black, and three white. Is that correct? It seems likely that this is not 100% correct, so I'm looking for more information.

Old 12-07-05, 06:20 PM
joeil
Visiting Guest
im sorry that is what was in the outlet box..
the switch box has 2 wires comming in. one black one white.
i added bx 3 wire one red one black one white and a bare ground. that goes up to the c-fan

Old 12-07-05, 06:27 PM
So are these five wires grouped into cables? If so, what's the grouping and please identify the connections again, specifying which wire came from which cable. Also identify what color the screw is on the receptacle where each wire is attached.

Old 12-07-05, 06:47 PM
joeil
Visiting Guest
ok in the outlet box there is a red wire connected to a brass screw and a white wire connected to a silver screw. now the red wire goes to a wire nut that has 2 black wire and 1 red plus the red wire that goes to the out let. then the white wire that is connected to the silver screw goes back into the wall. also in the box is 2 other white wires that have a wire nut on them.
in the switch box is a 2 wire bx comming up. black and a white. they connect to a slidding dimmer switch. the wire going up to the c-fan is a 3 wire bx plus ground one is red one is white one is black.

Old 12-07-05, 06:56 PM
You still didn't group these wires for me. Can you tell the wires that enter the box as a group?

Does (or did) the switch also control other receptacles in the same room?

In what city do you live, and in what year was this house built?

Old 12-07-05, 07:06 PM
joeil
Visiting Guest
i live in lake in the hills il the house is about 35 years old. yes the switch did control in the same room.
as for a group im not sure what you mean i guess.. by group are you askin where do the wires come from??
in the outlet box there are 3 knock outs... one has a black and white one has a red and white and one has white and black.
hope this helps

Old 12-07-05, 07:12 PM
This receptacle is incorrectly wired. Do you know if it was wired by a professional?

I suggest you spend $8 on an outlet tester, the kind that plugs in and has three lights on it. I'm pretty sure that it's going to tell you that the receptacle is wired with reverse polarity. (On second thought, it probably has correct polarity, but the switch probably switches the neutral, which is even worse.)

Are there any grounding wires?

All you need to do to make the fan work is (at the receptacle) to connect all three white wires together, and pigtail them with a white wire to a silver screw. But don't turn the breaker back on until we get the switch wired correctly.

At the switch, you'll need to either remove the dimmer and add a duplex switch, or install a larger box and add a second switch to the box. Which do you want to do (or did you already do)?

Last edited by John Nelson; 12-08-05 at 09:31 AM. Reason: On second thought
Old 12-07-05, 07:19 PM
joeil
Visiting Guest
ok i guess it was wired by a pro but i realy i dont know. its been that way for 35 years..
no grounding wires at all untill i added the 3 wire bx
and lets go with a duplex

Old 12-07-05, 07:26 PM
So on a duplex switch, you'll see that one side has two screws connected by a tab. This is the common side. On the other side are two separated screws. So connect the black wire from the old black/white cable to one of the common screws. Connect the black and red wires from your new cable to the two screws on the other side. Connect the old white wire to the new white wire. Then your fan should work.