Ground wire and connections for a electric cooktop

Old 12-07-05, 06:55 PM
desertnick
Visiting Guest
Ground wire and connections for a electric cooktop

Hello,

I just hooked up a new Maytag electric ceramic cooktop and I wanted to be sure that everything is done right. I have connected the red to the red and the black to the black. The ground from the new range is copper and I connected it to the white from the house. The installation instructions states: "The neutral of this unit is grounded to the frame through the solid copper grounding wire.... Connect the white neutral to the service neutral. Connect all wires to the branch circuit with approved connectors."

Am I close to being correct? This won't blow up on me will it? I also have aluminum wires from my house and I used the same connectors from my old range. The old range had aluminum wires too. Do I have to get some different kinds of connectors? The new range has all copper wires.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-05, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your connections are correct, but you need to get some special wire nuts for copper/aluminum connections. You'll know you got the right ones when you see the high price tag.

Old 12-09-05, 02:14 PM
desertnick
Visiting Guest
Everything works great. I just need confirmation on the wiring. Thanks.

Old 12-12-05, 11:43 AM
cobb1942
Visiting Guest
?

What is the service neutral? Thanks Ed

Old 12-12-05, 11:53 AM
rob
3 or 4 wire?

desertnick - Just curious, was cooktop 4 wire and was the service 4 wire too?

(I had the situation where I had a 4 wire cooktop and 3 wire service.)

robert

Old 12-13-05, 11:47 PM
desertnick
Visiting Guest
House is 3 wire and the new range is 3 wire. The old range was 4 wire. I don't know what service neutral means. But it works.

Old 12-14-05, 04:46 AM
The fact that it works does not make it safe. Many unsafe electrical installations will function.

The splices need to be made using wire-nuts or other devices suitable for mixing copper and aluminium. Get this wrong and the splice will slowly come apart as it heats and cools in use. Eventually the splice will open just a bit; electricity will continue to flow to the cooktop but the splice will heat up enough to start a fire. The old connectors that you used may or may not be suitable.

Depending upon the amp rating and conductor size, you may be able to use approved Cu/Al wire nuts, or you may need to go to something like split bolts or insulated set screw connectors. As John said, you will know that you have the right wire-nuts when you are shocked by the price.

Did the cooktop have a 'pigtail' with three conductors, black, red, and _bare_, or did it have some sort of terminal block where you connected wires? Did you add a pigtail to a terminal block? It is quite common for a cooktop to have ground connected to neutral, but the bare wire suggests that it is only an equipment ground, and not a combined equipment ground and neutral.

The service neutral is your neutral supply at the main panel.

-Jon