power meters

Old 12-08-05, 01:47 AM
power meters

hello,
is it possible to buy a power meter that i can add to my electrical system so i can monitor how much power the downstairs apartment uses? if so, do you know where i can buy such a meter or how much they cost abouts?

i'm wondering if i can just do that instead of having the company come out and pay to hook up a whole new box etc.

thanks,
max

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-05, 04:53 AM
daneelectric
Visiting Guest
Good idea at that!

Yes, not a problem. As long as you leave the original meter in tact where the initial install was, you can do whatever you want after that. I actually upgraded a bunch of services in a small log cabin camp site. The entire park had only one meter, and then power lines to all the homes. So the park required each home to have their own electric meter so they could divy up the total park bill more acurately. United Electric Supply. Grab like a westinghouse digital brand new they go for like 6 for $200.00. As long as your staying under 200A a single meter socket will do. Follow proper code with all bonding and be careful as always. Good Luck. Dane

Old 12-08-05, 06:52 AM
If you are just buying one, eBay might be an option.

Old 12-08-05, 07:20 AM
Your local public utilities commission will have very specific rules on submetering, if you actually plan to charge tenants based on that meter. They may require you to use 3rd party meter reading and billing. They will definitely require the meter to be calibrated. Here, the county weights and measures dept. does that for free if you take the meter to them.

Old 12-08-05, 12:32 PM
I think after your main meter, you can meter anything you like without anyone else's involvement.
http://www.emon.com/html/econsingle_g.html

Old 12-08-05, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by HandyRon
I think after your main meter, you can meter anything you like without anyone else's involvement.
True, to the point you decide to use that meter for the basis of charging for the metered electricity. IMO, as long as you don't mark up the price you pay, you are legal.

Old 12-09-05, 05:41 AM
The issue is not whether or not you can put a meter on an electric line, the issue is whether or not you can use those readings and/or resell electricity. I'm sure that there are many different rules in each state/locality.