Open circuit

Old 12-11-05, 05:48 AM
johanson
Visiting Guest
Open circuit

Open circuit. For years my microwave has worked on a regular electrical outlet in my kitchen. One evening my wife turned it to a setting, punched start and the lights went out. I said the microwave just died. I took it apart, the fuse was OK. I plugged it into another socket and it worked fine. Now, when I wenr to the fuse box and looked for a blown fuse there was none. An electrician told me I must have an open circuit. How does one find an open circuit? I pulled the wires out of the subject socket and they were OK. The kitchen has three other double sockets with the same problem. Help! Sometimes the sockets work for a nightlight, and, when you take out the fuse it goes out, naturally. But on a normal basis the fuse is in and the circuits are not working. The microwave light can come on, but the power (when the microwave is turned on) causes the circuit to be open.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-05, 06:30 AM
You have an intermittent connection. You ned to check every receptacle mand junction box on the circuit, those that work and those that don't work. Likely suspects are any receptacles that are back stabbed.