Upgrading single switch to switch outlet combo

Old 12-12-05, 06:58 AM
juls
Visiting Guest
Question Upgrading single switch to switch outlet combo

Hi - Looking for information on wiring for an upgrade of a single light switch to a switch outlet combo. Will I need to run a jumper? If so should the jumper pigtail off the black or white wire?
Thanks - Jul's

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-05, 07:09 AM
If all you have is a black and a white wire, nothing else, then you cannot make the conversion that you want. You need a neutral in the box along with the hot wire to add the receptacle.

Old 12-12-05, 07:56 AM
juls
Visiting Guest
Could I install an outlet next to the switch by piggybacking off the feed into the box then running to the outlet and switch?

I have old aluminum wiring, when adding new wiring to the old (eg: adding a piggyback or splice) what precautions do I need to take? Are there concerns regarding the joining of the aluminum with copper?

Old 12-12-05, 08:06 AM
Before you go any further, examine the wiring in the switch box. If you have a single cable with a black and a white connected to the switch then you can do nothing here. If you have two (or more) cables then you can probably either add the conbination device or extend the circuit.

However, there must be a ground in the box.

As for aluminum wiring, you need to be careful. To make connections between aluminum wire and copper wire requires special wire nuts and some special connecting grease to be used. The connections must be done properly.

Loose connections cause heat. Heat and aluminum wiring causes fires.

Old 12-12-05, 08:28 AM
juls
Visiting Guest
I know Iím not an electrician (wish I were). I donít see why I can not pigtail off the feed into the box is it not similar to the way wiring is run for let say a bedroom? Yes each box would have itís own feed but arenít they all connected at the junction box? What makes this different? As far as grounding (since this is a 100 y.o. home with mostly original wiring no ground) when adding the new cable with ground wire couldnít the ground wire be connected to the box as well as to the switch and outlet so the ground circuit is complete?
I do appreciate your responses Ė Iím just getting frustrated. I want that square peg to fit into that round hole.
I will make sure I have the correct wire nuts and connecting grease - thanks

Old 12-12-05, 11:41 AM
If you don't have a neutral wire in the box then you can't power a receptacle. There is no way around this. A switch loop is only the hot wire, there is no neutral. You may or may not have a switch loop. If you do have a switch loop then you don't have a neutral .

As for the ground wire, it is against code to extend a circuit that is not grounded. You probably don;t have a ground if the home is 100 years old, so I suggest that you consider running a new circuit.