GFI Weirdness in Kitchen

Old 12-12-05, 06:21 AM
shelly821
Visiting Guest
GFI Weirdness in Kitchen

I have a very strange problem that just started recently. In our kitchen, there are 2 GFI outlets. The electronic igniton for the stove is also on the same line. About a week ago the power to the 2 outlets and stove would go out and then come back after an hour or so without touching anything. The GFI outlets did not trip. I thought they were bad so I replaced them exactly as they were wired. Appearently, the guy who owened the house before me did some very funky wiring. Anyway, before I replaced the outlets, I opened them up and tested the wiring. There was power going to the outlets but the White lead seems to be hot. By touching the white lead and ground wire, I got voltage. I was able to light a light fixture that had just the wires coming off of it. I replaced the outlets and all seemed well. But, it went out again and came back. It keeps doing this. This moring I plugged a hair dryer into the GFI and as soon as I turned it on, the outlet went dead again. It came back a while later. Please help.
PS, recently, I had my basement renovated due to a flood. They sheet rocked the walls and ceilings and I wonder If the wiring took a hit. However, my kitchen was not touched nor the outlets.
Could this also be a bad breaker at the panel? Even though none have tripped?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-05, 06:51 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You have an open neutral. It seems to work because power is flowing through some device plugged in. When the lamp lit it actually only lit at something less than full power.

If the open neutral is not at the GFCI receptacle (and it doesn't sound like it is) then it is at whatever comes before the GFCI. Typically with a kitchen circuit (at least recent circuit), there is nothing before the GFCI, so the problem may be at the panel.