Electric boxes are not flush


Old 12-12-05, 07:47 AM
Bill W.
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Electric boxes are not flush

Im looking for suggestions. My house has plaster walls (3/4). In one bedroom the receptacle boxes are recessed approx. 1/2. The plastic boxes were apparently retrofitted and as far as I can tell are fastened via a side bracket to the studs. Due to the 1/2" setback it is difficult to make the receptacles and covers fit snug and secure. Short of opening the walls and installing new boxes, what can I do? I dont wish to violate too much of the NEC but would the addition of a piece of 1/2" wood scrap or a plastic washer at the top and bottom of each box where the receptacle screws in be a suitable solution? Are 1/2" extensions available? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-05, 08:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 10,342
Originally Posted by Bill W.
Are 1/2" extensions available?
Yes, although you will probably have to go to an electrical supply house. Home Depot and the like probably do not carry them. Box extenders are the correct way to fix this problem.

NEC allows 1/4" recess into non-flammable materials, like plaster, and no recess into flammable materials like wood paneling.
Old 12-12-05, 11:32 AM
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Fort Mohave, AZ
Posts: 99

I agree with ibpooks, the box extenders would be the way to go but you could use switch/outlet spacers. I have some in my electrical box for just that purpose, this URL shows one type.


Old 12-12-05, 12:29 PM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
Although the spacers would bring the switches and receptacles forward, they would not meet the electrical code. You need the box extenders. You might be able to find them at Home Depot (haven't checked recently).
Old 12-12-05, 03:15 PM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,437
Try this link. They are easy to install and inexpensive too.

Old 12-12-05, 03:22 PM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 973
I have purchased these at Home Depot...They are blue plastic and made by Carlon. They come in a cardboard backed package, and, at least at our local HD, are on the same shelf as all the other blue plastic boxes.
Old 12-12-05, 05:17 PM
Bill W.
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks for the advice. I found a 2 x 1 1/8 "add-a-depth ring" made by Raco at Home Depot. They are a tight fit but with a little tweaking they should solve the problem. Thanks again.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes