cooktop

Old 12-12-05, 01:22 PM
cobb1942
Visiting Guest
Arrow cooktop

Old cooktop 3-wire red, black and green. New cooktop 4-wire red, black, green and a smaller white wire. I was told I could connect the white (neutral) to the green (ground) and wire the same as the old unit. If not and I have to add a new 4-wire circuit from the panel (breaker box) to the cooktop, where does the smaller white wire hook in the panel? the bus bar which is the same as ground? or where? This cooktop is a ceramic smooth-top with no exposed metal. Thanks Ed

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-05, 01:50 PM
The literature that comes with all cooktops contains two alternate sets of installation instructions, one for 3-wire connections and one for 4-wire connections. Find and follow the 3-wire instructions. You may have to install a bonding wire or strap on the cooktop, as explained by the instructions.

Although not required by code, if reasonably feasible you may want to run a new four-wire cable from the panel to your range. This would increase the safety of the installation. Then you could follow the 4-wire instructions.

Old 12-12-05, 02:14 PM
cobb1942
Visiting Guest
Arrow ?

I don't have the instructions. It is a floor model. Is the neutral and ground the same point? What is the service neutral in the breaker box? Thanks Ed

Old 12-12-05, 02:22 PM
lemmyaraya
Visiting Guest
Go to web site of manufature and check for instructions
most have them listed under support