Electrical Help Please

Old 12-12-05, 02:22 PM
drowell
Visiting Guest
Electrical Help Please

On Sunday, I was trying to repair my Dremel and plugged into an outlet in the living room. All the power then went out in the room.

Believing that the breaker must have popped, I went over and checked them all and none were thrown. Still in disbelief, I went through each one turning them off and then back on, but still no power in the living room.

So, then I figured the breaker must be bad and put my digital multimeter on each one and they all measured 121.1V - so they are all working, but still no power in the living room.

I am 99.99% sure that there are no other breakers in the house or at the main box. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Old 12-12-05, 02:51 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Search this forum for "open neutral".

Also, visit your home center and spend $8 on an outlet tester, one of those things that plugs in and has three lights on it. Or, if you prefer, use your multimeter to measure for voltage at the dead receptacle between the short slit and the grounding hole, between the short slit and the long slit, and between the long slit and the grounding hole. Tell us all three results.

Old 12-12-05, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is there any possibility that you have a GFCI receptacle installed somewhere on the living room circuit? If so, it as tripped and you need to find it and reset.

Old 12-12-05, 09:44 PM
drowell
Visiting Guest
ok - I owe you guys big time!

Yes, the problem was that a GFCI outlet was in the circuit and it was tripped. I definitely want to thank you for your help. Also, after reading some of the other threads, I will definitely map out the electrical system within the house. With a proper mapping, I probably would have realized that the GFCI outlet in question was the problem, but without your help, I wouldn't have even have thought about it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: