Relocating an outlet

Old 12-12-05, 07:44 PM
Relocating an outlet

I am currently remodeling my basement. My first step was to remove a wall which I have already done. I now need to relocate an outlet that was on the removed wall to a wall further across the room. Naturally, I do not have enough existing wire to reach that point in the far wall. My question is, how do I properly add on to the wires from the existing outlet to reach the point I need them to?. There are (2) 14/2 wires that were going into the old outlet. Each with a white, black, and ground. However, one of the blacks was not even connected and was cut back into the wire casing and I white pigtail was rigged up when I removed the old outlet. I am what you would call a rookie at all this, but I want to make sure I do this properly. Thank you in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-05, 07:53 PM
I'm not an electrician, but learned the answer from this site (it's a wonderful place isn't it?). You can add on to the existing wire to extend to the new location, but the splice must be in an accessible junction box, it can't be hidden behind the wall.

Old 12-12-05, 08:01 PM
Thanks. DaveJB. Doeth the junction box that the connections are made through have to have an acess cover on the wall or is that not necessary?

Old 12-12-05, 08:04 PM
I believe it does, otherwise it's not accessible. Last thing you want to do a year down the road is rip your wall apart looking for the box because you suspect a connection problem.

Old 12-12-05, 08:08 PM
There are two solutions.

The easiest is what Davejb told you, install a junction box and make your connections in that box. This box needs a blank cover and must remain permanently accessible. This means it cannot be hidden in any way behind drywall.

The second solution is to replace the wires with longer ones.

Old 12-12-05, 08:15 PM
Why would the existing wiring have two wires (both with white,black, and ground? It had the whites spliced together with a pigtail coming off and the same with the grounds. But only one black was used. the other black was left in the wire insulation??? Doesn't seem right to me, but I'm no expert.

Old 12-13-05, 04:22 AM
One cable brings power into the junction box. The other cable takes power on to another receptacle or light. However, in your case the other cable serves no purpose. Perhaps it was for future expansion, and they left the hot wire disconnected since it isn't needed (yet). You should determine where this cable goes, to make sure that it is properly terminated in a junction box that is permanently accessible.