House built in 1960;some lines aren't grounded

Old 12-13-05, 07:54 PM
House built in 1960;some lines aren't grounded

My house has some of the outlets grounded and some aren't. It seems that the right side of the house is grounded and the left side isn't.

Is there and easy way to ground outlets? Running copper wires isn't going to be easy.

I thought of adding some sort of whole house GFCI device. Is there such a device?

Thank you for your assistance

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-05, 08:29 PM
Is there and easy way to ground outlets?
No, not usually.

If your ungrounded circuits are wired with metal boxes and metal conduit, it's possible that you can ground the outlets to the metal boxes. A voltmeter would allow you to see if your metal boxes are already grounded.

GFCI allows you to install 3-hole outlets, but it doesn't provide grounding.

Other than that, you need new wires all the way back to the panel. If you live in Canada, you may have other options.

Old 12-14-05, 05:14 PM
I live in Canada. I thought I saw outlets at Home Hardware that assist in grounding. This wouldn't make sense because the current has to go somewhere. Into the ground.

I tried connecting a copper wire from the 3 hole outlets to the metal box. I put a circuit analyzer on it and it reads open ground.

Installing copper wires would be really difficult because the basement is finished in vinyl siding on the walls and ceiling. It looks like Wainscotting but it's vinyl. The previous owner must of found a truckload of this stuff because there are piles of this stuff in the shed.

Old 12-14-05, 05:26 PM
I have learned from my Canadian friends that Canada allows you to ground outlets to cold water pipes. This is not allowed in the U.S. There are several knowledgeable Canadians who frequent this forum, so I'll let them fill you in on the details. It may be of interest whether or not you are in Ontario, since Ontario codes vary somewhat from the rest of Canada. In fact, I highly recommend you fill in the location field of your profile. You'll get much better advice that way.