Service Entrance Surge Arrestor

Old 12-13-05, 07:15 PM
Service Entrance Surge Arrestor

I'm rewiring my house and in the process I am putting in a new meter box/main circuit breaker panel outside the house and installing a 200A subpanel in the house. I want to put a Service Entrance Surge Arrestor in and it appears there are three kinds:

1. the kind that the meter plugs into
2. the kind that mounts on the side of the panel
3. the kind that plugs into a double circuit breaker slot.

Which kind is best and why? Also, who makes good ones and where can I get them?

I know I also need to put surge suppressors on the cable and phone lines but that's a different issue.

Thanks,

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-05, 08:06 PM
My preference is the kind that replaces a standard 2 pole breaker. You don't have to compete with the impedance from wire to run to a unit mounted next to the panel. The meter units are often not permitted by the utility company unless they rent it to you.

Old 12-14-05, 06:09 PM
I want to put one of those in my house. Can someone provide a link to one of these breaker type surge arrestors? Thanks

Old 12-15-05, 12:23 AM
After doing a little research, I'm actually looking at getting two kinds - one that would mount in my main box and cover phone and cable line surges as well as electrical line surges, and a circuit breaker type to mount in the subpanel that would only control electrical surges. From the literature I've been reading this seems to offer more protection as the surge gets stepped down in severity through the two arrestors rather than having one unit try to do the job of both. The specs on the two types of units seem to be very different WRT response time and clamping voltages and stuff. Is this the best way to go?

BTW, for those interested, these do not replace the surge arrestors you use to protect your computers and stuff, these only limit the surge to a point that allows the plug in surge arrestors to do their job effectively.

As far as who makes the breaker type of arrestors they have to be made for the type of panel you have on your house. SquareD makes them for their panels. I don't know about the others. Go to www.squared.com and start looking through their stuff to find out more.

Steve

Old 12-15-05, 08:46 AM
This is the one I used in my Siemens panelboard.
http://www.sea.siemens.com/reselec/p.../rzcbtvss.html

Old 12-15-05, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by HandyRon
This is the one I used in my Siemens panelboard.
http://www.sea.siemens.com/reselec/p.../rzcbtvss.html
I'm putting in a Siemens load center so this should work for me.

My understanding is these provide surge protection for all the circuits in the load center and it also provides two 20A regular breakers that can be used for anything.

Old 12-16-05, 03:54 AM
That's correct.

Old 07-22-06, 07:37 AM
HandyRon,

I'm picking up an older thread since I have a Siemens panel as well.

I'm in the same situation as Bob Loblaw. I came to the conclusion that there are 3 kinds. Is it correct to say that all of them work the same? Basically a MOV on top of the phase and neutral? Is there any difference between the models that go outdoors and the breaker type?

I'm a little bit confused about the Siemens breaker implementation. The DSquare model seems to be a surge protector only. While the Siemens model is both surge protector and breaker? Does the surge protector work for the entire panel or only the attached load (of the breaker)?

Also, I'm not sure about the panel itself. There are two rows of breakers. Connected to two wires from the service feed. Does this mean I have two phases? In any case, does that mean that I need two surge protector elements?

Old 07-26-06, 04:52 AM
When do I use the Siemens TVSS model vs. the regular one?
TVSS seems to have lower clamping voltage but lower joule rating. The regualr one the opposite. What is more desired at the service entry?
Since I have a plit phase, two rows of breakers in my panel, I assume I have to use two surge breakers?

Old 07-27-06, 05:23 PM
The site linked below does recommend a Service Entrance surge arrestor but of course they are selling "newer" "series mode" technology for point-of-use that is supposedly better than MOV.

Can someone please comment on this? The scope traces look better, but I don't have any perspective from which to judge relevance.

http://www.zerosurge.com/HTML/versusres.html