Connecting a generator to power a garage?

Old 12-14-05, 06:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connecting a generator to power a garage?

Years ago I subdivided a property across town and now own the part with just a 4 car garage on it. This garage has a sub-panel that was powered from the main house by wires maybe 75 feet long run underground in conduit. When I sold the house I disconnected the wires from the house breaker box and pulled them back through the conduit into the garage. Now I have about 75 feet of what I guess is maybe 4 or 6 gauge wires (3) on my garage floor. I would like to power up the garage but donít want to hook up to city power for a few reasons including the cost of installation as its 100 feet from the street, the fact I would be charged a commercial rate for electricity, the fact that its mainly for storage and I donít use it too often (I may go 3 or 4 weeks without going to it), and mainly because I donít want another monthly bill to pay. How can I connect a portable generator to those 3 wires which go to the sub-panel? Is there a plug I can install on the end of the wires so I can just connect to the generatorís receptacle? The garage has about a dozen florescent ceiling light fixtures controlled by switches and some outlets. Iíve seen some 2,000 to 3,000 watt generators on sale in the $200 to $300 range which is less than a third of what it would cost me just for the hook up to city power. I need to do an engine swap and doing it this time of year it would be so much better doing it in a lighted garage even if it is a half hour from my house rather than doing in my driveway outside in the freezing cold and blowing wind.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-05, 06:43 AM
You cannot connect to those wires. At least not directly. The wires you have are designed to be run in conduit. They are not designed to be run in the open. Run this wire in conduit to a junction box. Add a fourth wire for the ground. At this junction box you should install a male receptacle/plug. You will then make a power cord that will plug into the generator on one end and into the receptacle/plug at the other end. (This cable will be male on one end and female on the other end.) The actual connectors you use and the size cable you need will depend on the size of the generator and the distance you want to run the cable.

Old 12-14-05, 06:47 AM
Make sure you leave the generator OUTSIDE!

Old 12-14-05, 12:47 PM
I'd rather keep it inside. I'm thinking of connecting a flex pipe or high temp silicone hose to the exhaust pipe of the generator motor and running it through the garage wall to the outside. Any problems?

Old 12-14-05, 12:55 PM
It would be far too noisy inside and the exhaust would still get into the air, filling it with carbon monixide and kill you (eventually).

Old 12-14-05, 05:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
generator

Please don't consider using the generator inside. We had a guy do that in his basement during a snowstorm once. He woke up dead.
Additionally, a 2K or 3K generator may run your lights, but that's about it. If you have anything like a 240 volt compressor or use drills, or other electric appliances, including heaters, the size compressor you are thinking of using will be underpowered.