Proper ground location?

Old 12-14-05, 01:29 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Proper ground location?

I have to move the location where my cable (cable company) enters my house from one side to the other. It is causing interference with my underground dog fence and moving it to the other side will put it on a different route which "should" not cause interference.

My question is about proper grounding of the cable. My two A/C units and gas line are on the side of the house the cable is being moved to. Are either of these two (A/C, gas line) grounded to something that I can also ground the cable to?

Old 12-14-05, 01:56 PM
R
The cable needs to remain grounded to the same location that it is presently grounded to.

Old 12-14-05, 02:03 PM
W
Originally Posted by racraft
The cable needs to remain grounded to the same location that it is presently grounded to.
So do you mean I need to run a ground wire from one side of the house to the other where the original ground is? I don't know if that is do-able.

Here is a picture of the back side of my house. I need to move the cable from the right side to the left side.

http://www.thebdbulls.com/gallery2/m...g2_itemId=1644

Old 12-14-05, 05:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
proper ground location

That seems like a lot of trouble to cure interference. It is possible to run the cable in non metallic conduit under the area where the dog fence is located, extended several feet to either side to eliminate the interference, thereby allowing the grounding to remain at its proper location. The dog fence is creating an electromagnetic field, and is affecting the cable. Generally speaking cable providers barely scratch the surface when they install cable, and it should be buried a little deeper than they do it.

Old 12-14-05, 06:20 PM
W
The cable interferes with the fence where they run parallel. Because of the where the cables run, they run parallel for a bit. Customer service for the dog fence says that they should not run parallel. If I move it to the other side of the house, they only have to cross, which is ok if they cross at a 90 degree angle. Customer service also told me there was nothing that could enclose either cable that would remedy the interference.

I'm not sure how deep the cable was buried, but I know they buried it with a trencher because they tore up my new sod in the process.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: